Week Six

We started off today’s session by having a lecture on our assignment which was very useful.

In today’s music session we were looking at drumming. This was useful as it showed me a fun way to integrate music into the classroom. We used drumsticks and learned a few of the different types of music notes and how many beats that they had. We then followed the number of beats using the music notes and played it along with the drumsticks to two songs. This would be something that would last quite a few lessons within the classroom and this could also lead to a performance at the end for other pupils in the school or even an opportunity for their parents to come into the school and observe the learning that they had been doing. This gives pupils something different to do in music rather than singing and will also make pupils who were maybe not very confident in music more interested and this shows that there are other aspects to music than just singing for example. “Valuing music is the ultimate aim of music education.” (Hennessy, 1995, P49). Pupils will begin to value and enjoy music more when they have experienced different aspects of music within the curriculum.

In today’s art session we were looking at giving people a voice through art. This would be a very useful lesson to do in the classroom when looking at issues in today’s society as it allows pupils to learn about what is currently going on in today’s society or at certain parts of history but also allows the pupils to be creative at the same time. This means that they are able to express their thoughts through art and express themselves, My group chose to speak about equal pay and the quote we decided to use was “equal pay 4 equal work”. The quote was printed out and we traced it onto foam and then dipped this in paint to transfer the quote onto paper to give it the effect that the picture shows. We decided to use red paint as this is a colour that attracts peoples attention and shows the importance of the slogan and what it is trying to portray. I feel like pupils would really enjoy this lesson as they would be able to see the progression of the art piece  come together and see how effective the end piece of art is after it is complete.  An experience and outcome that I felt could relate to this art lesson is “I can create a range of visual information through observing and recording from my experience across the curriculum.” EXA 0-04a/ EXA 1-04a. (Scottish Government, n.d.). This links to the lesson as the pupils observed information and this gave them a voice to create a visual piece of art.

References:

Scottish Government, n.d. Curriculum for excellence: expressive arts experiences and outcomes. Assessed online. Available at: https://education.gov.scot/Documents/expressive-arts-eo.pdf

Hennessy, S. 1995. Music 7-11 developing primary teaching skills. London and New York: Routledge. P49