Week Twelve

In this weeks music workshop we were learning how to play the ukulele. I learned that using Charanga helps to aid playing the ukulele which means that if I wanted to teach my pupils this I would be able to use this resource to help me plan and implement lessons within the classroom. I learned the different chords that are on a ukulele and learned how to use these which led me to being able to play short songs that the lecturer had provided us with. This experience was positive overall as I really enjoyed learning a new skill as I do not have a musical background. A practitioner reflecting is seen as skills being developed when practice is reflected upon. (Burnard and Hennessy, 2006). It is important that I reflect on my experiences so that I can ensure the best learning experience for all pupils. It was interesting to see what songs could be played on the ukulele. We all played last Christmas together as a group. I thought that this would be a good way to integrate music into the classroom as throughout the year the pupils within the class could be learning how to play the ukulele and then once it came to Christmas time some pupils could perform with the ukuleles in the Christmas show, playing last Christmas, as it is only four chords so would not be too challenging for the pupils to complete.

In today’s dance workshop we did our final performance of our group dance. We started off by practicing the dances in our small groups a few times and then we went onto practicing the dance as a whole group. This was useful as it reminded me of all of the steps before performing it altogether. Practicing with pupils before they perform can calm their nerves and it also gives them the opportunity to ask any last questions before the performance. We then did the dance and a lecturer recorded us whilst we done the dance. This isĀ  great way to be able to evaluate your performance and can see what went right and what you can improve on for the next time you do the dance in front of an audience. We then watched the video back and gave ourselves 3 stars, so good parts of the performance and 1 wish, something that we can work on for the next time we were to perform. The 3 stars that I picked were my focus, energy and enjoyment. The 1 wish that I picked from watching my performance back was my timing. Dance should be appreciated and evaluated at the end of the lesson after the performance. Using 3 stars and 1 wish is a good method to allow pupils to evaluate their performance. An experience and outcome that would link to this type of activity is “I can respond to the experience of dance by discussing my thoughts and feelings. I can give and accept constructive comment on my own and others’ work”. EXA 0-1aa/EXA 1-11a/EXA 2-11a/EXA 3-11a. (Scottish Government, n.d).This means that pupils can see what went well in their performance, which will in turn help them to gain confidence as they can see that their performance went well and also they have something to keep working on for the next time that they perform in dance.

Today’s music and dance workshops link together as both could result in a performance for the pupils at Christmas time for example. This is a good way for pupils to build confidence and show what they have been learning to the rest of the school and parents/carers.

References:

Scottish Government. n.d. Curriculum for Excellence: expressive arts experiences and outcomes. Accessed online. Available at: : https://education.gov.scot/Documents/expressive-arts-eo.pdf

Burnard, P. Hennessy, s. n.d. Reflective Practice in Arts Education, 3-12. Netherlands: Springer.