Inclusion and Equality

I thoroughly enjoyed today’s input which was based on inclusion and equality. Before today I considered myself to have a good understanding of the words inclusion and equality, however the lecture exemplified that there is a more significant in-depth definition behind inclusion and equality, and the impacts of these words on not just individuals, but society as a whole too.

Today I learnt that the term ‘inclusion’ is the state of being included within society. Inclusion involves many policies and practises that pillars diversity, opportunity to share opinions and make our own choices, connections with culture and legitimisation.  I was able to gain a deeper understanding of these key words in particularly diversity which in society comprises and involves communities, being enriched with different cultures, nationalities and religion. It important to bear in mind that we are not the same, we all develop through varying experiences, we are all unique and we all contribute something different to our community and world. Also within the term inclusion it is fundamental that individual abilities are always considered and ensuring that there are flexibilities to support everyone’s individual needs in a varying of contexts. Hence, inclusion is paramount for me as a student teacher/ perspective teacher to ensure that the classroom environment is adapted to suit and involve every pupil regardless of their individual needs and abilities.

The second key term introduced today was ’equality’ which is the affirm of being equal in status, rights, fairness and opportunities. Equality is again based around involvement and adapting, but rooted upon inclusion being consistent throughout society. I learnt that equality can be treated as fairness governing so that groups and individuals are not treated unjustly and that their views are not shunned away from society and fully included in general society.

During the independent study, I decided to research Penny McIntosh privilege concept. McIntosh wrote an academic paper based upon equality among the “White Privilege and Male Privilege”, her finding where no matter gender, religion, orientations or race everyone is entitled to same and rightness opportunities, moreover everyone within society should be able to participate in the same activities without being discriminate because of the same factors above.

As a student teacher/ perspective teacher it is vitally important to demonstrate to pupils that we are all equal but unique, we all contribute something different to the world whether it is skills, abilities or culture, emphasising to pupils that we must respect and include each other regardless of gender, religion and race.

Today really did enlightened me to ‘equality and inclusion’ and I look forward to learn more about this insightful topic in next week inputs.

Mcintosh, Penny (1988). White Privilege and Male Privilege. Available at: http://www.collegeart.org/pdf/diversity/white-privilege-and-male-privilege.pdf (Accessed: 30 January 2017).