Religion, Culture and Unchurched

My learning of the Society and Lifestyle module continues, today’s input was based on “Religion, Culture and Unchurched Spiritually. Some topics addressed today have left my rather perplexed and I will definitely have to devote further independent study to these aspects.

The lecture focused on religion, culture and the term unchurched spiritually, today I consolidated my understanding of some facets of last week’s initial lecture.  Today I learnt we acquire religion and that religion and culture inversely influence each other, conveying that religion gives us an identity and possible model a way of life, highlighting that religion can be a guidance to what we eat, wear and music we listen to, et cetera. I also learnt, in-depth, the social issues (either good or can influence problems) that can underpin religion, for instance ‘material claims’, which implies religions can encourage followers to be generous and helpful. Likewise, ‘altruism’ which is in contrast. I gained a better acknowledgment of scholars, their stance on religion/culture and their social alignment. In particularly the ideologies of Karl Marx, Max Weber and Bruce Lincoln. Further to this I understood what is meant to be ‘Unchurched Spiritually’ conveying that religion takes place outside a place of worship and the religion is not based on creed or a formed structure, this facet of religion is increasingly evolving, as ‘organised’ religion and churches decrease.

I found the concepts addressed in the lecture to be interesting and not too difficult to understand, this is in contrast to the tutorial, researching Karl Marx and the modern criticism of religion to be I discovered this to be somewhat complex to comprehend, it was rather challenging to find journals, books or academic. The main point I attained from this is presently there is not the same force or emphasis to follow a religion as there was in past centuries.

In order to advanced my understanding of the subjects of today’s inputs I will continue to look into further reading of academic journals, articles and books in addition to notes and past paper questions in order to prepare for the exam questions, but also to secure my understanding.

As a student teacher and perspective teacher it is important that I support pupils, their religion, culture and the way of life they follow, also keeping in mind that every religion is unique and have varying lifestyles.

Therefore, it is important that I continue to revise all aspects discussed today and in past lectures in order to make better sense of the topic of religion and culture, and the subsequently impact of religion and identity, ensuring I am relating my responses to scholars and their ideologies and theories.