Digital Technologies – Week 1

Within today’s introductory session of Digital Technologies, we as learners reflected upon what digital technology is, the importance of using digital technologies as prospering student teachers in schools and navigating Glow by using our own digital skills.

At the beginning of the module, the question: “What do you think Digital Technology is all about?” was asked of us by our lecturer. With previous knowledge and understanding of a former discussion I had with a peer, my answer was “Digital Technology is a way in which a young persons learning can be portrayed in a new and modern method. Following on from to our own personal answer and opinion as to what we thought Digital Technologies was, we were given the Scottish Government’s definition of what Digital Technology is.  described as “A digital learning and teaching strategy for Scotland.” This enabled me to widen my understanding of digital technology and what lies ahead within my learning journey along the course of this module.

Within the workshop, a worksheet was issued to us, where we were to complete an honest review upon our strengths and weaknesses within our digital skills. In reflection upon my strengths, I found that my skills lie within digital platforms such as: Word, Excel and PowerPoint. Throughout my years of schooling, these particular platforms were made mandatory through the different aspects of my learning which enabled my digital technology skills to Excel. This meant I was able to take these strengths I portray to University and beyond my teaching career.

In order to increase our awareness towards the use of Digital Technology within education establishments, we were directed to: “The national Digital Learning and Teaching Strategy (2016).” The strategy highlighted the importance of improving education in Scotland in order to give young people the best chances in life through the use of: “The National Improvement Framework” and the “Scottish Education Delivery Plan”. It links Digital Technology to this improvement plan in highly enriching education across the Curriculum in Scotland’s education. Through reflection on this document, it can be noted that digital technology not only develops a young learners skills and digital learning, but also the confidence in their use of technology. In this way, teachers and educators are given the flexibility within their practice to incorporate digital technology within their learning establishments, in order to aid young people to gain skills for life, learning and work, which is highly regarded within the Curriculum for Excellence. In terms of this, the wider economy will benefit by digital technologies incorporation into learning at an early stage in life, as their future workforce will be fully equipped with the skills and knowledge for a range of different sectors involving ICT.  The Scottish Government (2016), stated that digital technologies are also aimed to “encourage educators to share innovative and effective  practice through digital platforms”. I found it extremely interesting that not only young learners can benefit from digital technology. Parents/carers may see value within digital technology through communicating with their children’s school and supporting their learning.

Overall, I found it extremely insightful when looking into the benefits and value of incorporating digital technology within the Scottish Curriculum for young learners. Not only does it foster creativity, ambition and spark interest for life long learning, but it improves the attainment gap, in which it provides every young person with the same opportunities within their learning experience. This helps to promote equality amongst the children and will further widen their skills for life, learning and work. I am confident that I will enjoy this module and I am eager to see what lies ahead within my digital learning experiences.

Scottish Government (2016) Enhancing learning and teaching through the use of digital technology. [Online]. Available from: http://moodle.uws.ac.uk/pluginfile.php/391375/mod_resource/content/2/Digital%20Learning%20and%20Teaching%20Strategy%20.pdf

[Accessed: 20 January 2018].