Digital Technologies – Week 2

Commencing onto the second week of the Digital Technologies module, today’s focus was based on the use of programmable toys within education establishments: in particular using the BeeBot. To our advantage, having previously looking at using BeeBot for literacy purposes, we were able to take our prior knowledge of using BeeBot in a numeracy setting. As part of our assessment task, we were to create a BeeBot floor map which represented a numeracy Experience and Outcome, which we then tested out for our lecturer.

With regards to the programmable toys use within education, it can be shown to uphold many benefits to a child’s development throughout the Curriculum for Excellence. Pekarova Janka is in favour of the use of programmable toys within the classroom. There are endless benefits and opportunities which arise from using programmable toys in class settings, Janka explains the benefits of programmable toys: “The curriculum introduces programmable toys as a good example for developing knowledge and understanding of the contemporary world.” (Janka, 2008, p.2) In addition to this, The National centre for Technology in Education (2012, p1) provides evidence as to the increased benefits of using programmable toys in education, they state, “[Floor robots in the classroom] help with the development of skills such as logical sequencing, measuring, comparing lengths, space orientation and expressing concepts in words”.

The benefits that programmable toys exhibit are endless, creating an interactive, responsive learning environment for the child. In terms of assessment strategies, educators can observe the children’s literacy and numeracy skills whilst playing with the BeeBot. This takes into account the children’s problem solving skills and sense of creativity, whilst experiencing the enjoyment of this hands-on learning experience.

For the assessment task, my peers and I decided to create a floor mat which contained shapes, represented by everyday objects, such as a clock, book, envelope etc. Alongside this, we created que-cards, which described the property of the shape that BeeBot was to travel to, for example: “Travel Beebot to the shape which has 4 equal sides.” whereby the child would program Beebot to the envelope. This Beebot floor map was targeted at first level, which allowed for the recognition of shapes and describing their properties, using their problem solving and prior knowledge of mainstream shapes.

The experiences and outcomes for this Beebot floor map we created are: “I am developing problem-solving strategies, navigation and co-ordination skills, as I play and learn with electronic games, remote control or programmable toys.” -TCH 0-09a

“I have explored simple 3D objects and 2D shapes and can identify, name and describe their features using appropriate vocabulary.” -MTH 1-16a

Overall,  I thoroughly enjoyed using the BeeBot for both literacy and numeracy lessons. However, I felt it required a lot of  creativity for an educator and I would highly recommend looking up ideas both online or in reading prior to creating a floor map. I will definitely be using this in the classroom in the future as I think it creates a new learning experience which is innovating and exciting for young learners.

Janka, P. (2008) Using a Programmable Toy at Preschool Age: Why and How [Online]. Available from: http://www.terecop.eu/downloads/simbar2008/pekarova.pdf [Accessed: 16 January 2018]

NCTE (National centre for Technology in Education) (2012) NCTE Floor Robots – Focus on Literacy & Numeracy. [Online]. Available from: http://www.ncte.ie/media/NCTE_Floor_robots_focus_on_literacy_numeracy_primary_12-06.pdf [Accessed: 16 January 2018].