Milngavie Early Years Centre

news for parents

What’s happening in October in Nursery

October is always exciting in nursery.  The days become crisper and lots is happening in our garden and orchard which is fun to learn about.  Autumn is a highly sensory season and we will have great fun exploring the colours, scents, foods and temperature of the new season.

Our Author of the Month for October is Valerie Thomas – the creator of the wonderful Winnie the Witch.  Her stories are great fun and her illustrator – Korky Paul – makes the books able to be read countless times and there still be exciting new wee details to notice in the crazy pictures.   The books tie in well with Halloween, and lots of our children are already discussing what they want to dress up as, at Halloween.

We will be having a Halloween Party on Friday 29th October in Nursery  and the children that attend on a Friday are welcome to dress up to come to nursery if they wish.  This is completely optional and not everyone wants to – every year we have 2 or 3 children who just want to dress up as themselves.  This is absolutely fine! If your child is dressing up, please make sure they are not too gory or scary – our staff scare very easily!!!!

This year, due to Covid restrictions we cannot invite children who do not normally attend on a Friday.  We are sorry about this and hope it may be different next year.

We are starting our Word of the Week and Makaton Sign of the Month this week.  This is part of Word Aware – an Early Years Initiative to extend our children’s vocabulary.  Our word this week is “Adventure” and it is also the sign of the month too.  We will be sharing Winnie the Witch’s adventures this week and more than likely having some of our own.

I am starting out on a big adventure myself this month.  I have been Nursery Teacher at Milngavie for 20 very happy years and I am retiring next week.  I have loved my job – I have been fortunate to have been part of the lives of hundreds of wonderful wee people over my career and also got to know their lovely parents and families.  I have had really exceptional, crazy colleagues, over the years and I know I am really going to miss them, and the children terribly.  I am looking forward to spending more time with my grandchildren and meeting my mates for lunch!

Nursery will be closed this Friday – 8th October – for a staff In-service Day.  We are open again on Monday and will be open throughout the school’s  October Week holiday.  Happy holidays to everyone who is going away!!