Milngavie Early Years Centre

news for parents

What a wintry morning! Time for an Icy Activity and a bit of Scots!

Good morning everyone – I hope you are well and safe this morning and that home-schooling is going well.  You are doing a good job.  It  really is not easy, and if your children are happy, safe and engaged in something, you should be very pleased with yourself!!

This morning Jen has sent us some great ideas for icy play, when the temperature drops below zero.  This happened last week and the children in nursery made some ice sculptures too.

If you know that it is going to freeze hard overnight, you can prepare plastic boxes with water in, shallow trays and even buckets, the day before and leave them out overnight.  A wide variety of different shapes of containers is best and leaves and coloured paper can be put in to create pictures in the ice. Shallow trays allow you to create window ice.  This activity is exciting for children as it allows them to see a liquid change to be solid – all caused by changing its temperature.  Jen has sent examples of her work and some suggestions as to making Window Ice, Ice Pictures and Ice Castles, so your wee ones can unleash their inner Elsa!!!

Its not often I wish for a hard frost, but I am keeping my fingers and toes crossed for some icy weather so you can try this!.

Here’s one of our nursery lads with an ice creation he made himself!

A wee bit of Burns and The Gruffalo in Scots

Today we are having a wee listen to a short poem written by Burns, in the Guid Scots Tongue.  Scots words are often really descriptive and it is a shame we don’t use them more.  It would be good to ask your family what their favourite Scots words are!  The Gruffalo in Scots is fun, but I found it a bit tricky to read!  I also have the Glasgow Gruffalo, which I won’t even attempt.  Instead I’ll include a link to the wonderful Elaine C Smith doing it justice.

https://youtu.be/qb5lLQljbJI

The Glasgow Guffalo by Elaine C Smith

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hq8zxYnWRW8