Milngavie Early Years Centre

news for parents

Come Fly With Me this week at the Virtual Nature School

This week I am participating in a course, run by Claire Warden, designed to give parents and Nursery Practitioners new ideas for outdoor play with their children.  It is based on Claire’s Talking Tub approach to learning where children are asked to explore ideas from photos and objects found in a talking tub and then go and investigate themselves.  It is great fun and really deepens children’s (and adults’) understanding of the natural world.  All the resources used in her investigations are easily found at home.

It has been funded by the Scottish Government and is free.  This week the topic is The Joy of Flying and this morning’s film investigates dandelion seeds and parachutes.  The 20 minute sessions are broadcast on a youtube channel at 10am each morning this week and can be watched live.  The link for a recording of  this morning’s session is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ev_H2GF-9Oc&list=PLoMq7fqatKUpcEjuhwZ48AOU6XEcdg4k1

If you would like to fully participate in this weekly course, there is a private Facebook page for East Dunbartonshire where you can upload any photos or videos of the fun you have trying the activities.  The address for this is  https://www.facebook.com/groups/vns.east.dunbartonshire

Alternatively you might want to put your photos on your learning journal!

I am excited to be part of this course – Claire Warden is a real outdoor play guru and her ideas are always really exciting.  When I get back to nursery we will continue to participate in this daily outdoor learning, and will be able show you what we do on our Learning Journals.

I realise that not everyone will be in a position to commit to a whole week of daily activities, but it may give some fun ideas for trying on walks  when out and about or when playing in the garden (if the weather gets a bit drier!)

This morning’s doesn’t really get going till 5 minutes in, so fast forward or just bear with it – the joys of youtube technology!   I really hope you enjoy it and let me know what you think!