Milngavie Early Years Centre

news for parents

Holly’s Precious Treasure

IMG_3456[1]  Today we had a very, very special show and tell time.  Holly brought in her special beads – a record of her time and her treatment in hospital.  We were all amazed by the length of the string of beads.  “There are 105!” Holly told us, “and each bead means something different.  She told us the yellow beads were when she had a sleepover in hospital and she had quite a few of them.  All  the colours of the beads represented something and Holly could tell us what every colour meant-  from anti-biotics to cannulas, to changes to her wiggly – the line she gets her treatment through.  She also showed us the special bead that she got the day she found her hair on her pillow and the special anchor bead she got when she had a chest infection.

Holly describes all this so knowledgeably and cheerfully – she has an incredible knowledge of what has happened and what her medicine does.  She was happy to share her experiences with us and without wanting to sound overly slushy or sentimental – it was a beautiful experience.  Her friends were very interested and asked her loads of questions.  We overheard a conversation in the hall about the bead she got when she lost her hair- “I like short hair – I got mine cut” said Ava.  “My brothers teeth fall out,”  said Ruari- “Big ones grow in and the wee ones fall out”  “I saw all my big teeth on an x-ray in hospital” Holly told us. May told her the tooth fairy comes, if you left your teeth under your pillow and leaves you money.  The conversation then naturally moved to how much money you might get from the tooth fairy.

Holly is a very special and bright wee star.  Her courage and resilience are truly  inspirational.  She knows that she still has more beads to collect  and she has told us that when she collects more she will bring them in and tell us about them.  A huge thank you to Holly for bringing in her bead and sharing her stories, and to Kathryn, Holly’s mum for letting us share this with you.

Holly's beautiful beads

Holly’s beautiful beads