Inclusion and Equality-Focus on Disability

I was unable to make today’s lecture on the ‘Focus on Disability’ due to ill health.  However, I have read over the class materials and further reading and I feel like I now fully understand the information and have grasped a solid understanding of the term ‘disability’.

I was happy to read and learn that time has moved on and there has been acts introduced, such as the ‘Equality Act 2010’, to support those who may have a disability. I was shocked to learn about what happened to people in the past who suffered with a disability, it is heartbreaking to know that in the past people with a disability were treated so differently. For example, they were excluded from the labour market and were limited to low income jobs.

I think it is important to make children aware of disabilities and I think in order to challenge discrimination towards people with a disability we must start in schools. It is important that we as educators are a voice for the children and inform them of how everyone deserves to be treated with respect and every child is important and of value. It is important that children are taught about disability awareness and that they are able to develop an understanding of disability as well as being able to explore their own attitudes, values and experiences.

Overall, this was a very interesting topic and I thoroughly enjoyed learning and doing some further research into the topic.