Space!

It is phenomenal to think just how big the universe out with us actually is. I didn’t even realise this until it was explained to me in a mathematics workshop I was participating in. I also in the beginning, never thought about how I would explain this subject to children. I had just assumed it would work out.

The guest speaker that we had from Dundee science centre explained scaling the different areas in space to us in order to understand just how far apart the different planets are away from each other while making it an understandable concept. Scaling the different planets out using the Tay Bridge was a fantastic idea. This is something perhaps school children can relate to that live in Dundee. Round Scotland this could be used with landmarks nearer each school. This is in order to make the fundamental mathematics understandable for not only children, but others who do not understand a lot about space.

Different sized balls were used such as huge exercise balls to very small ping pong balls in order to see just how big some planets were in comparison to others. By getting the class to guess at the beginning how small we believe some planets are using our hands, made me think how good this would be to first get the children to guess what size they believe the planets are first.

I believe if I had undertaken this topic in primary school myself. I would have understood a lot more about it and very much enjoyed myself.

Between the galaxies, planets, and scaling.  I never thought I would find it as interesting as I did. I am now very keen to learn more on this in order to be capable of teaching this topic to a primary school class.

Theories of fundamental mathematics. Lipping MA

No country is the same when it comes to looking at league tables of results in schools worldwide. Chinese teachers typically begin their careers with a better understanding of elementary maths than teachers from the U.S is what Lipping Ma found from her research. They may attain higher grades than certain countries. Lipping Ma is a researcher who looked into a profound understanding of fundamental mathematics. Copious amounts of research was carried out, comparing and contrasting education between the two countries China and America. Her theory has four elements which are key to understand when looking at her research. The first, being basic principles. This may look into if it is understandable and if there is different ways to prove something correct. The second principle that was looked into by Lipping Ma was the connectedness involved in mathematics. This is when the teacher begins to feel that it is a necessity to make connections and links into the mathematics the children are learning and stress their importance. Thirdly there is multiple perspectives. This looks at different solutions in order to solve a problem and what are the best and worst ways to use, or the advantages and disadvantages to using different methods. This is to give children the understanding that there is more than one way. Lastly there is the fourth stage which is longitudinal coherence. This is where the teachers review where the pupils’ in their class are within fundamental mathematics and if they are advancing within the curriculum. The teacher can then begin to look at different areas and decide what they think is a key concept in order to teach their class.

Maths and Art (Discovering mathematics – ED21006) Anna Robb (29/10/15)

In our discovering mathematics workshop, we spoke about the “golden ratio”. At first I found this quite difficult to think about however the more examples that Anna Robb gave made it easier to understand. We carried out tasks such as drawing our own version of a piece of art work inspired by Mondrian and taking measurements of each other on different parts of our bodies to see who in the class was ‘the most beautiful’ or who in the class’s body was most in proportion. This can also be known as “The golden ratio”.

The golden ratio has been used throughout history to measure many different works of art which have made many mathematicians’ interested in different works of art and different architecture.  For example, the golden ratio was used to design the Notre Dame in Paris, France. I found this very interesting to learn as before I have never really thought about the maths involved in different art work.

Incorporating mathematics and art together within a classroom environment can be done. I had again never really thought of this until looking at the golden ratio in the workshop. A lesson could perhaps be to draw a picture, however before the class starts, fold the paper a certain way in order to make the picture a specific way so that each final piece is in proportion with each other and similar in a number of ways.

As much as I felt this was a fascinating way to design architecture and different pieces of art work in the world, after trying out a few drawings and different activities, I worked out that trying to get the golden ratio completely correct in a drawing can be more difficult than initially thought. I attempted to draw a spiral which the first couple of attempts ended up incorrect, after Anna showed us how it was meant to be done, and began to explain that we needed compasses in order to get the spiral accurate, I began to see what I was doing wrong, even though we were given the answer, I still fond the task difficult.

Overall I found this workshop worthwhile and interesting in a number of ways. I now understand how maths and art are connected to each other and how some mathematicians show an interest in art because of the maths involved with the making of it. It was quite a challenging concept to get a hold of at first but after the explanations that were given in the class it did begin to make a lot more sense.

Introduction from MA1

I am Sally Walker and I am in first year studying MA Education at the university of Dundee. I arrived here by doing a year in college after finishing high school after sixth year. I then went on to complete HNC Early Education and Childcare at Fife College in Kirkcaldy.

I applied for Primary Education at University in my last year of high school however was still very unsure of this career choice. The conditions I received were all a grade B or above in higher English, which at the time I did not believe I had the confidence I would make. I did a number of extra activities at this time to ensure I had good experience in different fields. This included house captain, class rep, befriender, peer mediator and buddy within school and Monday club, voluntary work at Oxfam, a paper round and even helping set up a small local business in Fife which is becoming a lot more widely known out with school. I was always very busy and wanted to give myself a good chance of achieving something when it came to leaving school.  When the SQA results came in August, I was happy to learn that I had gained higher English at a grade B as well as three extra highers.

However after thinking carefully about my decision, I decided that perhaps going to college for a year and staying at home would be the best choice for me. I had a job at our local supermarket and had not long passed my driving test. I was hoping to make some money to help me for the years ahead as well as gain some experience in the classroom from my placement at college. I feel in that year I gained a lot of experience having worked and volunteered in many different places and I was able to go out and drive which made me feel a lot more independent.

I decided to apply for university again when I was at college as I felt I was in a lot better position. I gained interviews for Dundee, Glasgow and Aberdeen University which I then went onto receive either unconditional or conditional offers. Dundee was a clear winner when deciding where I wanted to go and I decided it would be best to stay away from home as it was something I had not yet done before. I was able to keep my job and change to only work weekends as I do enjoy coming home and seeing my family.

I hope to gain a lot of knowledge of what it takes to become a primary school teacher this year and this should prepare me for the years I have yet to come. I have felt a massive change in my life since coming to university and even within the three months I have been here I have felt I have learned more about organisation and different skills about the qualities a primary teacher has to posses.

I feel that taking a year out and going to college and learning so much new things has done me well. I would not have done things differently and believe that I prepared myself the best I possibly could before coming to university. I hope that I am able to enjoy the course in the rest of the time to come and one day become a primary teacher.

Edited by: Sally WALKER 11 months ago

Welcome to your WordPress eportfolio

Welcome to your eportfolio. This is where you will document and share your professional thoughts and experiences over the course of your study at the University of Dundee and beyond that when you begin teaching. You have the control over what you want to make public and what you would rather keep on a password protected page.

The eportfolio in the form of this WordPress blog allows you to pull in material from other digital sources:

You can pull in a YouTube video:

You can pull in a Soundcloud audio track:

You can pull in a Flickr page

Teacher, Lorraine Lapthorne conducts her class in the Grade Two room at the Drouin State School, Drouin, Victoria

You can just about pull in anything that you think will add substance and depth to your writing.