Kerry Graham UWS ITE ePDP

Integrated Arts 4

Music is such a powerful subject as it can help us develop in other areas and skills such as literacy, numeracy, creativity, social and personal development and many more. Music can help us to become successful learners, effective contributors, responsible citizens, and confident individuals.

In this music seminar, we were introduced to a programme that can be used in the classroom to teach composition. This programme is called Garage Band. Through this programme, children are able to use either the recordings provided or create their own recordings to put together and make a piece of music. It is a useful tool for a teacher who maybe isn’t very confident with music. In class we used the recordings provided to create our own, unique pieces of music, and were able to, with the tools provided, change the speed and tone. This provides the children with the resources to use their creativity to write and create their own unique music. I personally found this tool easy to use and very fun. I think children will also enjoy using this. For teaching purposes I believe it would be a good idea to get the pupils to create backing track to play along side pre-recorded videos or to work coincide with drama pieces.

As I am not familiar with musical terms, or composing any sort of music, this was a creative, easy fun way to do so! This would be a great tool for the classroom and I would feel comfortable teaching and letting children in my class explore this app. Here is a video of the music I created: