Kerry Graham UWS ITE ePDP

Reflections on Placement

As part of the BA1 Situated Communication module I took part in a whole school placement. During placement I was able to observe a number of different lessons and the techniques how they were carried out. By observing all primary classes within the school allowed for me to conduct myself in many ways and vary my communication depending on the situation and surroundings.  Additionally, I was also able to provide the class teacher with support, peer and self evaluations, as well as completing literacy and numeracy tasks.

Strength

A communication strength which was identified by myself and my peer was that I interacted was being able to communicate and interact well with children, more so in smaller, intimate groups. I spoke at an adequate volume and pace where all pupils were able to hear. I also used a varied tone and pitch to keep children engaged. One example of my communication strength being applied was working with primary 2 on phonemes. I worked with this group to help expand and deepen their knowledge of their phoneme sounds. Most of the group had language barriers which affected their communication but by using a varied pitch and tone I was able to keep the children engaged on the activity.

Area of Most Progress

The area in which I believe that I progressed most in was confidence and engagement with staff. At the beginning of my placement I felt nervous when around other staff, even though they were very welcoming. I believed that the teachers were of superiority. After a couple of days settling into my placement I became more of ease and found it a lot more easier to chat with other teachers and ask questions both formally and informally.

Area Requiring Progress

The area in which requires more progress is improving my confidence when changing environment. I felt nervous about changing and adapting my communication between pupils and in the classroom with staff and in the staffroom, as never being in a staffroom and teachers in a more informal manner I was unsure of what to expect. At the beginning of the week I was quite stand-offish within the staffroom and with staff members but as the week progressed I became more relaxed and found it a lot more easier to chat with the other teachers and ask questions both formally and informally. however, I would still say that I could’ve been more vocal even by the end of the week.

Action Plan

To improve, I am going to build up my confidence in unfamiliar situations with adults by putting myself into situations which I do not feel comfortable in and make an effort with them. By doing this, I feel I will be more confident to speak up and engage in conversation with other staff members. As a result, this should make me look more open and confident even if I am still slightly nervous about doing so.