Society and Lifestyle – Monday 13th February

The Glasgow Effect

The Glasgow effect is a term used to describe the poor health status of Glasgow over and above that explained by socio-economic factors. By comparing Glasgow with its two most similar and comparable UK cities, Liverpool and Manchester, researchers aimed to find evidence of a so-called ‘Glasgow Effect’. While the overall levels of deprivation in Glasgow, Liverpool and Manchester were almost exactly the same, the all-cause mortality in Glasgow was more than 30% higher whereas the childhood mortality was significantly lower in Glasgow. In Glasgow, between 2003 and 2007 there were 4500 ‘excess deaths’, around half of which were related to alcohol and drugs. Even though researchers have found a number of possible hypotheses to what is causing this so-called ‘Glasgow Effect’, none have officially been proven.

Are Scottish People Healthy?

In terms of statistics, Scotland does have poor health standards and is known as ‘the sick man of Europe’. High levels of alcohol and binge drinking effect many people in Scotland’s health and costs the NHS billions every year. However, according to the Scottish Health Survey 2013 (SHeS) weekly alcohol consumption has decreased significantly and hazardous drinking has decreased from 33% in 2003 to 22% in 2013 for men and from 23% to 16% for women. In poor areas, children are introduced to smoking, drugs and alcohol at a much younger age than in most places. This has a huge impact on their health, whether they are participating in it or not, they are still exposed to it. The SHeS states that children’s exposure to second-hand tobacco smoke in the home was 11% however a target has been set to reduce this to 6% by 2020.

Unhealthy food is a major part of Scottish culture and most children are exposed to this at a very young age. 40% of children eat chips two or more times a week and 34% eat cakes at least twice a week. Only 13% met the 5-aday recommendation in 2013 and this figure has not changed significantly over the past 10 years. However, 75% of children were active for the recommended level of 60 minutes every day (including school-based activities) which has increased from 71% from 2008.

Society and Lifestyles – Monday 6th February

According to the Equality Act 2010, “a person has a disability if s/he has a physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on that person’s ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.” However, the definition of additional support needs is not the same as the definition of disability as most think. Many people are covered by both definitions however there are some people who are covered by one or the other. During this lecture, what shocked me was how people’s attitudes towards disabilities have changed. It shocked me that disabled people were looked after in asylums etc.

Society and Lifestyle – Monday 30th January

Throughout this lecture, I began to understand the different between inclusion and equality. I had always thought they were one in the same however there is actually a big difference between the two concepts, even though they are interconnected. Inclusion is an antidote to exclusion and applies to those who have been discriminated against due to uncontrollable factors. By not promoting inclusion, people become oppressed and disadvantafed. Equality on the other hand, is about giving everyone equal access to opportunities and ensuring there is the same outcome for everyone. There are a number of different layers to equality. In order to understand why inequality and discrimination occur, analysing how they operate at the personal, cultural and structural level is important. At the personal level, it is all about the individual and their thoughts and feelings which are shaped by our experiences. At the cultural level, it relates to what is seen as right and what is seen as normal. Finally, at the structural level, it relates to how oppression and discrimination has been ‘sewn in’ to society.

There have been policies put into place to ensure that inclusion and equality become the norm. The Equality Act 2010 came into force to protect individuals and provide everyone with equal opportunities as well as promoting a more fair and equal society.

Society and Lifestyle – Monday 23rd January

In this lecture, I came to realise how closely linked Religion and Culture are. I always knew that in some aspects religion influenced culture and vice versa however I did not realise the full extent of this until after this lecture. Religion and culture raise a number of social issues, both bad and good.  For example, religion can provide individuals tackling a social problem with a community who can help them, However, in contrast, religion is susceptible to internal extremist forces which can promote violence and conflict.

It was interesting to see the difference in opinion that some of the scholars had on religion as culture and where they overlapped. The difference between Karl Marx’s opinion and Max Weber’s opinion was very interesting as they were on total opposite sides of the scale.  Karl Marx claimed that religion is not necessary because God is ‘man-made’ whereas Max Weber praised religion and said it was an agent of social change. Bruce Lincoln was very in the middle of both of these scholars as he believed one must not believe everything religion claims as first hand evidence yet he also stated that societies contrast religion as part of the process of social formation.

For me, the most interesting part of this session was definitely the input on ‘Unchurched’ spirituality. When thinking of religion, I had always went straight for the traditional approach of a religious group who were part of a church and attended a church / prayed often. It interested me to see that there was a continuing decline in ‘organised’ religion as other forms gained ground.

Society and Lifestyles – Monday 16th January

During the lecture on Monday 16th January, I learned about the different types and functions of religion as well as learning about religious diversity. Due to the fact I did Higher RMPS at school, I felt that I knew a lot about religion however learning about the different functions of religion really interested me as I was not aware of just how important religion was to some people and how they use it in everyday life to cope with different aspects or to keep peace in a community. Before this lecture, I did not realise there was a difference between a sect and a cult however I now understand that a sect is “a group which depends on voluntary membership and personal commitment” and a cult is “a group that is smaller and more remote from the main trends in society than a sect.”

This lecture improved my knowledge greatly on religion as I was unaware of most of the aspects that were covered. One of the things covered in this lecture was the seven common features of religion that Ninian Smart identified. I had known about these and had covered them briefly in Higher RMPS yet the detail that we covered them was basic so going more in depth about them really appealed to me because it was a familiar concept. The lecture also made me realise how much religion impacts on society. Bourdillon (1990) identified several ways that religion impacts some societies in his book Religion and Society which included “deals with life-crisis” and “unites people in a group”. For example, focusing on religion helps deal with life-crisis, funeral rituals can help people to cope with death and keep some control over the disruption a death can cause in a community.

Personal Reflection of Room

When I was younger, I was a big reader and I read for pleasure a lot however as I’ve gotten older I have stopped reading as I never have the time to sit down and actually read a book. I tend to read romantic fiction, novels that are popular and ones that have been recommended to me by friends and family.

I felt that Room was a very enjoyable read and the story really intrigued me. I felt very involved in the story while reading it and throughout the beginning, I was interested to see how Jack’s language changed and how he came to have such a wide range of vocabulary. I noticed straight away that Jack personifies the objects in Room and this was one concept that really interested me as Jack pretended they were his friends however he had no real grasp on the fact that they were inanimate objects and could not be his friends. As well as this, it shocked me that Ma made out to Jack that everything he seen on TV was only TV and was not real, however the truth would have been too much for Jack to handle so I can understand why she did such a thing. I felt that Room was a very eye-opening novel as the things that happen in Room can happen in real life and it shows you the seriousness of the situation and how it could play out. I would definitely recommend Room to someone who hasn’t read it as it is a very captivating and eye-opening novel.

When I was reading room, there were some sentences that I had to read multiple times before I could understand what they meant. Because it is written in Jack’s point of view, some of the sentences are not in the right word order or the wrong words are used when describing something. As I have always been able to understand grammar rules and it just comes naturally to me, I found it difficult to revert and put myself in Jack’s mind. However, I feel that this will have helped me develop my skills as a reader due to the fact I had to focus carefully on each word and I had to figure out what some of the sentences meant before I could continue with the story. Reading Room has definitely encouraged me to start reading more novels again. I had forgotten how much I actually did enjoy reading until I read Room.

If you had asked me before, I would have said that the use of fiction would be a waste of time in academic study however Room helped me realise how a child’s language develops and how they come to understand the grammatical rules associated with the English language. Before reading Room, I didn’t fully understand what overgeneralising meant however I now fully grasp the concept.

Reflections on Placement

Strengths

During my placement, I came to realise that I am very good at positioning myself so that everyone in the group can clearly hear me and can see me most of the time. As well as this, I ensure that when I am talking to the group, I talk loud enough and clear enough for everyone to hear me and understand me.

When working with a small group of children, my body language was very positive and I stood with an open posture at all times to ensure that the children knew that they could talk to me if they had any problems or if they needed help with their work. When helping the children work out an answer during a maths lesson, I used hand gestures to represent the numbers on a number line moving from one number to another. This helped the children to further understand what I was talking about and picture the number line in their heads.

Area of Most Progress

At the start of my placement, I used the words “like” and “ah”  very often however by the end I had managed to completely avoid using it when talking to the children. I feel that this was my area of most progress as I use the word “like” all the time so being able to avoid using it made me feel as though I was making some progress towards being a proper primary teacher.

Area Requiring Progress

When taking a small group of children, I need to encourage everyone to take part and not allow certain individuals in the group to dominate the discussion. I must ensure that every child has a chance to speak and that when the children do give me responses, I encourage them to extend them.

I must also build the confidence to give children into trouble when they are misbehaving and not paying attention to the class teacher. When I was on placement, I felt as though I could not do this as I felt that it was not my place. Even though I was a student teacher, I felt that it was the actual class teacher to give the children into trouble for disrupting them. However, this is not the case and when I am in a classroom it is just as much my responsibility as the class teacher’s.

Action Plan

I must start to think positively about my experience on placement and learn from the criticisms that I picked up both from my self evaluations and from my peer observation feedback. By doing so, I will begin to build confidence in myself both as a teacher and as a student. This will help for the next time I go on placement and I will know what to do differently this time.

As well as this, I plan to do research on way that I can build my confidence and put these into action. Through this, I hope to become more confident in front of small or large groups of adults or children.