A review: A Skill of Questioning.

This blogpost will review the Finding Out About Others: A Skill of Questioning (Hargie, 2011).

I found the main aim and purpose of the chapter was to discuss the different purposes of questioning and how it can be used in the classroom with children to guide their learning.

The main themes of the chapter would be defining what a question is, the different types of questions (of which there are many) and the different aspects of questioning.

One claim that I found in the text was that Information seeking is a natural human activity that is vital to learning, decision making and problem solving.

An argument that I found quite interesting is Rudyard Kipling’s question classification of What, When, How, Where and When. This approach to questioning can reflect the answer that the questioner is wanting to hear rather than how they present the question itself.

One point that I disagree with in this chapter is the aspect of persistent probing. This way can make a child feel pressured, uncomfortable and unlikey to answer the question that is originally being asked.

Hargie, O. (2011) SkilledInterpersonal Communication: Research, Theory and Practice.5th ed. London: Routledge.