Week 11 – Final Destination.

So, eleven weeks later and I’m back, in the Mac lab, which is no longer one of my least favourite destinations!

It’s been a journey like any other. There have been highs and lows, good times and not so good times. However, I can say absolutely that I finish this journey significantly stronger and more confident than when I started, and I am very pleased with what I have achieved.

When I set off I was an apprehensive and avoidant Digital Tourist, with more than a hint of Cyberostrich (Jarvis, 2015). Now, I am still a Digital Tourist but I’m no longer so apprehensive or avoidant, and my grasp of the language is much better! With the unwavering support (and tolerance) of my Cyberlemming (Jarvis, 2015) classmates I have developed skills and confidences which I would not have previously thought possible. I’m still no techno whizz-kid but I feel far more confident about taking my skills out into the classroom now than I did before. My new levels of confidence make me determined to carry on improving my skills and researching ways in which I can use digital technologies to enhance learning; both mine and other people’s.

Collaborative working has been a real benefit on this journey. It has made learning fun, enjoyable and memorable; much as we would like to replicate in the classroom. Using our individual strengths in teamwork has allowed us to produce some work of which I am very proud.  Gathering knowledge from, and with the support of others, both Digitally Native and Digitally Immigrant (Prensky, 2001), I have seen that my skills “comfort zone” can easily be included in the use of Digital Technologies. Who knew I could ever be part of something which can be found on YouTube? I even know how to put things on to my own YouTube channel now (even if I did need help to set it up)!

I brought my creative strengths to the projects and I was able to learn and develop from the individual strengths of my team-mates. Interacting with the work produced by other teams and taking on board their feedback on our work was also very valuable. However, I appreciate that we were very lucky to work effectively as a team without the sort of vying for Position which will be expected when working with a Primary Class. I can reflect on the tasks we undertook and identify where it is likely that problems would occur if the same task were being undertaken by children and I will take that knowledge forward when planning any digital technologies activities with a class.

This module has also taught me the importance of Planning and how it is essential that any input in planning is proportionate to the volume of outcome expected. I have identified that my creative side is very much my driver; it wants everything produced perfectly and to maximum effect. I take pride in producing quality work and would like to encourage children to take pride in their work too, but I recognise that striving for perfection can turn a simple task into a monster event. I need to learn to rein in my desire to include everything and accept that pared down versions are just as acceptable if they meet the target and enhance learning.

So… where to next?

I have really enjoyed completing the Digital Technology module and am full of ideas of how I can take my new knowledge forward. I am keen to spend my free time between BA1 and BA2 refining and developing my new skills and adding more if possible. I want to do more reading and find out more ways in which I can incorporate digital technologies into practice. I am keen to be the sort of teacher the Scottish Government (2016) identifies is essential in providing a comprehensive education in the modern age. The continuing development of my digital technology skills will enable me to meet that requirement. I am very much looking forward to developing my own ideas for using digital technologies across the curriculum and taking those ideas forward into practice in BA2.

And finally…

I cannot end this blog without acknowledging the help I have received in operating the technology to produce it. My classmates have not only been fantastic team-mates throughout the Digital Technologies module, but they have been endlessly supportive of my struggle to get to grips with using Glow (I can do it now… but I still don’t like it!). Their input has been invaluable, and I hope I am lucky enough to meet colleagues in further practice as supportive as they have been.

1. Jarvis, M. (2015) Brilliant Ideas for Using ICT in the Classroom: A very practical guide for teachers and lecturers. Oxon: Routledge.
  2. Prensky, M. (2001) Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants. On the Horizon. [Online] Vol.9 (No. 5). Available: https://www.marcprensky.com/writing/Prensky%20-%20Digital%20Natives,%20Digital%20Immigrants%20-%20Part1.pdf.
  3. Scottish Government (2016) Enhancing Learning and Teaching Through the Use of Digital Technology: A Digital Learning and Teaching Strategy for Scotland. Edinburgh: Scottish Government [Online] Available: http://www.gov.scot/Resource/0050/00505855.pdf [Accessed: 18th March 2019]