Week 8 – Everything is… awesome? (Animation: Part 2)

This week we created our animated masterpiece.

We spent the week preparing our individual contributions and all we had to do was quickly put them together. Or that’s what we thought, anyway! We sorely under-estimated how long it would take to compile the finished animation and as a result, we were unable to include all the elements of learning we wanted to. We had originally intended to include three fraction-based problems for the viewer to solve but we would, realistically, have required the whole day to film. The length of time taken is a point seconded by both Jarvis (2015) and Moving Image Education (2019) and one on which we must reflect for further success.

The Moving Image Education website offered a lot of information about using cut-out animation and we took those points on board. We created a number of different settings which could be filmed independently of each other and which allowed for filming to carry on while scenes were adjusted. Fixing elements which would remain static stopped things from moving in the environment, but it also prevented any adjustment to how we wished to present things. Re-arranging the features was quick and fun and as we did not require a super-polished professional result we were happy enough to accept the inevitable jerkiness of some movements.

Luckily, with our previous experience using iMovie, we were able to edit the animation relatively quickly. Our “voice talent” team-member has the experience of working as a professional Actor so was able to record his contribution off the top of his head, with no errors. I appreciate though that achieving the same thing with children is unlikely and would require more time spent creating a readable script. Another team member has experience of professional media production which helped us to achieve our aims effectively. Again, working with children this is likely to take much longer. My own lack of experience in this area, and apprehension is something Beauchamp (2012) identifies as a potential barrier to successful learning and something which I am determined to be conscious of in my future practice.

Recording the voice-over.

So, how did it go?

Having created the animation with the target of First Level, I have considered that the following E&Os could be met:

• MNU 1-07c:Through taking part in practical activities including use of pictorial representations, I can demonstrate my understanding of simple fractions which are equivalent.
  • EXA 1-02a:I have the opportunity to choose and explore a range of media and technologies to create images and objects, discovering their effects and suitability for specific tasks.
  • EXA 1-04a:I can create a range of visual information through observing and recording from my experiences across the curriculum.
  • TCH 1-09a:I can design and construct models and explain my solutions.

And finally…

I absolutely loved this animation project. It was great to work, again, with a fabulous team. I loved the traditional creativity element of the design and the incorporation of maths in the story. It was a valuable learning process which I would very much like to take on in the classroom. I feel that this type of project would be a big hit with children and could be accomplished as a planned project over a number of weeks. Having learnt from our own experience how long it takes to do I feel better prepared to take on the planning which would be required for completing this sort of task with a group of children. Making learning fun and engaging is important and I feel that this project has ticked both those boxes.

1. Beauchamp, G. (2012) ICT in Primary School from Pedagogy to Practice. Essex: Pearson Education Limited.
  2. Education Scotland (2019) Curriculum for Excellence. [Online] Available: https://education.gov.scot/Documents/All-experiencesoutcomes18.pdf [Accessed: 28 February 2019].
  3. Jarvis, M. (2015) Brilliant Ideas for Using ICT in the Classroom: A very practical guide for teachers and lecturers. Oxon: Routledge.
  4. Moving Image Education (2019) [Online] Available: Moving Image Education website: [Online] https://movingimageeducation.org/create-films/animation [Accessed: 21 February 2019].