MA1 Placement

Lesson planning:

Although Derek asked us to choose goals for placement that are not in relation to something that is required of us, lesson planning is something that I am really nervous about. Already we have been asked to prepare a lesson plan for an input in two weeks’ time and I don’t know where to start. I don’t consider myself to be very creative so planning a whole lesson that not only stimulating and will keep the children’s attention but along with meeting the criteria of the experiences and outcomes for that curricular area will certainly be a challenge. Important aspects to consider for lesson planning are differentiation and inclusion and I look forward to those inputs to get a better understanding of what is involved. SPR details lesson planning to involve developing my own professional skills and abilities in order to “plan coherent, progressive and stimulating teaching programmes which match learner’s needs and abilities”.

Behaviour Management:

This is a goal that a number of students choose because I think it is one of the most important aspects of teaching practice. If your class are not behaving then you cannot do your job. Simple. My experience in schools in with early years so with a Primary 6/7 for my placement will definitely be different. I think it is normal to be apprehensive about placement as there really is a lot of work without thinking of behaviour management issues. From my pre-visit day and first few days of the observation weeks I will discuss with my teacher rules and boundaries and consequences for misbehaviour and their strategies to keep them under control. I will also carefully observe the behaviour management strategies my teacher displays and what/if different strategies work best with different children.  The SPR detail developing positive relationships and positive behaviour strategies by demonstrate the ability to justify the approach taken in managing behaviour.

In semester 1 we went into great details of positive and negative reinforcement of behaviour so I understand that if undesirable behaviour is rewarded or sometimes ignored then it is likely to continue. I have ordered “Getting the Buggers to Behave” in the hope that it gives some helpful hints and tips that I can understand before I go to my placement.

Professionalism:

Remaining professional i.e. always remembering that I am the teacher and not their friend is another goal of mine. On the first day at the school where I did my classroom experience, there was a pupil who was very upset sitting out the Head teacher’s office and I felt really quite anxious at their distress. Even though I did not know the nature as to why they were upset and much as I wanted to comfort and reassure this pupil, this is a example where professional boundaries need to be kept.