Mobile Devices (Part.2) 27/2/18

BLOG 8- Mobile Devices      27/02/18

In this weeks’ class we learned about another mobile device, one that I’d never heard of before; Talking Tins and Easy speak microphones. These devices are generally used to record audio sounds and can store and play them for you.

As a start to the day we were told do ponder over and discuss the following question: “Should mobile devices be used in primary schools?” We were then told to post our opinion on the forum. Many of the responses were super interesting to read and I agreed with some and disagreed with some. However, my opinion is that the children of today are native to technology and that is how they have grown up. If we continue to teach them as was in the past, we will be failing to prepare them for the real world, the world at present. Despite this, I still believe that moderation is essential. There is a time and place for everything and the key to this is to ask yourself whether or not technology will make the lesson better? If so, then that’s great! Otherwise just don’t use it for that particular lesson. Sometimes teachers are reluctant to bring technology into the classroom due to self-fear but as Beauchamp says, “Although teachers may be worried by new technologies… we need to be sure that this is not transmitted to young children, or that other obstacles are not put in the way of their natural curiosity and willingness to explore new technologies.” (Beauchamp, 2012, p.66)

The talking tins were used in the past as aid for the blind with cans so that when they lifted something the tin would let them know what it was, hence the magnetic bottom. The tin was really easy to use with simple buttons and after some interaction with it I understood the potential of the tins in a classroom. For example: Shy readers, language learning, matching letters to sounds etc.

The easy speak microphones were also extremely simple to use with a sub storage port, buttons easy to use and an LED light to indicate ‘on and off.’

We used the easy speak microphones for our activity of the day to complete an ‘I am…’ poem. We filled out the blanks of the template and then used both Power Point and the microphone to put together a slideshow of the poem. Using free images from Pixabay we filled in the slides with the text of the poem and a complementary picture. We then had to record ourselves reciting the verses of the poem and then transferred the audio file onto the slide, hidden and on auto play.

Curriculum for Excellence Experiences and Outcomes possibly relevant to the use of these devices:

• HWB 0-01a/1-01a/2-01a – I am aware of and able to express my feelings and am developing the ability to talk about them.

• LIT 0-09a – Within real and imaginary situations, I share experiences and feelings, ideas and information in a way that communicates my message.

• TCH 0-01a – I can explore digital technologies and use what I learn to solve problems, share ideas and thoughts

• LIT 0-01a / LIT 0-11a /LIT 0-20a – I enjoy exploring and playing with the patterns and sounds of language and can use what I learn.

References:

Beauchamp, G. (2012) ICT in the Primary School From Pedagogy to Practice Pearson: Harlow, England

Scottish Executive (2004) Curriculum for Excellence. Edinburgh: Scottish Executive