GBL (Minecraft) 13/3/18

BLOG 10- Game Based Learning (Minecraft)             13/03/18

This week was a continuation of GBL. It has been stated that ‘the use of computer games, particularly console games, is firmly embedded in 21st century youth culture’ (Ofcom 2011). As future teachers of this generation’s youth culture we need to be more aware of the games that children play with at home or in their spare time and how it can be used to help them learn. As previously discussed the potential of Game Based Learning is massive and can be used to encourage friendships, communication, discussion and so much more.

Beauchamp (2012) states that the type of skills that could be developed by ICT games are:

• Strategic Thinking
  • Planning
  • Communication
  • Application of numbers
  • Negotiating Skills
  • Group decision-making
  • Data Handling Skills.

(Beauchamp, 2012, p.10)

To start with we were guided towards several YouTube videos which explained the basics to us of the game. However, I do have to say that they did nit help as much as I thought they might have.

We were then teamed up with a digital leader who demonstrated for us how to play the basics of the game and how to stay in control. I must admit that I was sceptical at first and when trying myself I realised that it was definitely not easy! This reminded me of where Bray (2012) states that ‘Games-based Learning has the most transformational impact when it is combined with good learning and teaching.’ This encouraged me to not give up and keep on trying.

Overall, I believe that Minecraft provides many opportunities to be used in a classroom and teaching and learning environment and it is up to me to keep on top of it to be there for any future students. So, despite my failings and weak attempts I believe that Minecraft can help with many curricular areas in school such as Literacy, Art, Design, Graphics Communication and Digital technology. I hope I get better at it to be the best I can be!

References:

Beauchamp, G. (2012) ICT in the Primary Classroom: From Pedagogy top Practice. Pearson.

Bray, O. (2012) Playful Learning: Computer Games in Education. [Online] https://www.slideshare.net/Microsofteduk/playful-learning-computer-games-in-education [Accessed: 4th April 2018]

Children and Parents: Media Use and Attitudes, Ofcom (2001) https://www.slideshare.net/Microsofteduk/playful-learning-computer-games-in-education (Accessed: 5th April 2018)