Heather Walley UWS ITE ePDP

Climate change – learning log

This week in class we spoke about climate change. Before the class I thought the same as most people think: that climate is the weather. I learned though, that climate is the average weather at a given point and time of year, over a long period (typically 30 years). Whereas the weather changes daily.

After the lecture in the morning, we had a workshop with Andrew where we learned more about climate change and its effects on the earth. We saw how the water cycle works as well as how clouds and tornados are formed. I found this workshop very interesting as we got to see the experiments but we also spoke about how we could do them in a classroom setting with children.

In louise’s class we learned about what politics has to do with global warming. We watched a video which showed the amount of emissions which countries have given off over a series of time and it was quite astounding the rate that China’s emissions have been growing. We also learned how countries can trade oil etc for the right to give off more emissions which I was quite surprised that this is allowed.