Integrated Arts – Week 7

This weeks visual arts lecture was a pre-recorded lecture by Dairmuid. The lesson involved us creating a landscape painting. We had to make our paintbrushes using items we found in our garden. The only colours we could use were red, yellow, blue and white. The concept of making your own paintbrushes is from design maker Helen Carnac.

Relating this back to the classroom allows for opportunity for learning. Encouraging children to be a part of the whole process from making the paintbrush to mixing the paints to eventually creating their own masterpiece promotes creativity and pride in their work. Not using stereotypical paintbrushes in the classroom and encouraging resourcing natural products or recycled materials gives children the opportunity to use their imagination.

I loved this lesson and enjoyed sharing my new knowledge with my children. We all had a go at creating the landscape with materials we found in the garden. I opted for a broken clothes peg, a beautiful old leaf, a stone and a rough twig with lots of little arms. I am quit pleased with how the painting turned out considering the tools I had. I will definitely need some more practice though!