Integrated Arts – Week 11

In today’s dance session we got to practice our dance routines in our groups. I was lucky to have such a supportive group as I am very uncoordinated! We decided on our final choreography for our dance and everyone was happy.

During today’s session we learnt the significance of supporting children’s ideas for creating dances. “One of the most powerful experiences dance educators can offer children is the opportunity to create a dance that reflects their ideas”(Cone, 2015) This quote by Cone highlights the importance of allowing children to be free to create. Encouraging children to use their creativity freely promotes confidence and self assurance.

Cone also states that creative dance should be fun, safe, meaningful and a child led activity. Giving children the opportunity to take ownership of their creations helps to build their confidence.

Dance can act as a form of expression for some children. According to Pinter (1999) children who struggle academically, especially those children with English as their second language often respond positively to the creative nature of dance. This can also be used as an example of how powerful dance can be in allowing children to express themselves.

Today’s session made me consider how I would teach dance to children when I am a teacher. This initially worried me but Zara reassured us that there are opportunities to outsource professionals to help with the process. It obviously depends on budgets and time management but local authorities have many independent dance schools who work closely with their local schools.