Integrated Arts Week 4

Today’s session “why music matters” really opened my eyes to the importance of music within the curriculum. The TED talk with Anita Collins was very thought provoking. Music is more than just instruments and songs, it helps children to “acquire and understand language”(Collins, 2018). Anita lists the benefits of playing a musical instrument in her TED talk and how on average someone who has played an instrument for at least 2 years has on average a higher IQ of 7.5 points in comparison to someone who hasn’t. 7.5 points is such a substantial difference when 1o0 IQ points constitutes an average IQ and 130 is genius. This made me consider how implementing music more regularly within every area of the curriculum would benefit children’s academic abilities and potentially have a positive impact on the futures.

Unfortunately while I was on placement last year I didn’t get the opportunity to partake in any music lessons. It would have be beneficial for me to see how the children responded to the music exercises and if they could link any those learnings to other areas of the curriculum. I hope when I go on placement in BA2 I can use todays teaching to help me build connections with the children in the class and try and incorporate music into other subjects.