The Urban Environment

Urban areas within the United Kingdom are continuously increasing. With increasing populations there becomes pressure for land and demand for more supplies.

The Urban Environment in which I live in is Paisley. Paisley is a town in the West of Scotland which has a population of over 73,000. The town contains the 2nd most listed buildings within Scotland. Many buildings within this environment have an interesting historic background. For example the Anchor Mill which was once a thread mill which provided many job opportunities for the people of Paisley, is now converted from its derelict state into apartments providing more living accommodation.

Anchor Mill, Paisley.

Paisley has many green spaces. Green spaces transfer urban places into an environment which is friendlier for humans. Cart’s Greenspace is a local business in Paisley which works alongside Greenspace Scotland to regenerate open spaces in need of a makeover to improve the environment.

Trains, buses, cars, bikes… you name a method of transport and Paisley has most likely got it. It has four main railway stations including the main station Paisley Gilmour Street Station, which has links to Glasgow City Centre train station which can get you to most popular places across the UK. Cars are most commonly used in Paisley which means there is high carbon emission. To decrease air pollution, paying for parking and an increase in public transport was introduced.

Paisley town is also a host to a wide variety of recreational activities. There are many sports centres including the Lagoon, which contains a gym, swimming pool, sports hall and a cafeteria. I enjoyed spending my time going swimming at the lagoon with friends when I was younger.

The history of Paisley is what I find most interesting. The buildings and what their original purpose was before urbanisation is extremely fascinating to me. Perhaps this would also be interesting for children in Primary 5 to learn about the history of the town in which they live in. Learning about their town history may make them feel more connected to it and have an understanding of the importance of an environmental friendly place to live. Linking to the CFE, SOC 2-08a.

In conclusion urban environments are subsequently growing and I think it is important to educate young children about the advantages of being environmental friendly.