Placement Tasks

Above is a map of the school which I received from digimaps for schools. The blue x’s are the areas which are designed for the children to play in. They areas include a climbing frame, a sand pit, an outdoor gym and an area with different games painted on the ground. The red circles are where the bins are located.

There is existing engagement with sustainable education within Houston Primary School. There is a gardening club for the children to volunteer at every week. At the club the children are responsible for planting a variety of different vegetables and then when their crops have grown they use them to make food such as soup. This club allows for children to see the importance of growing your own vegetables and allows them to have fun and get practical with sustainable education. There is also a recycling committee within the school, who make sure that all paper is being recycled efficiently. At the end of the week the recycling committee go around the classrooms and collect the paper themselves and put it into the recycling bins. Each class also has a litter picking slot for each week. This allows the children to get involved with the clearing up of their environment and will encourage them to look after their community outside of school. The Eco Committee in the school gets involved with the recycling of clothes and distributing ‘electricity wardens’ to turn off switches, lights and computers at the end of the day. Houston Primary School also holds 4 green flags which shows how eco-friendly the school is.

Play space is relatively quite small compared to the quantity of children in the school. From the digimap above you can see that there is not a great amount of tarmac provided for the children to play on. However, they have access to different areas of the playground, once a week, which include a climbing frame, an outdoor gym and a sandpit (identified on the map above with a blue x). There are also tyres scattered about and painted games on the ground which are available at all times for the children. From the map above, it is clear that there is a large area of grassland – marked with a green x – available for play. However, this is only useable in the summer as it becomes extremely waterlogged in the winter.

I sat down with a small group of children and asked them to consider the different clubs in their school related to sustainable development and what they thought of their playground. All the children were aware of the effect that they can have on the environment. They enjoy being involved in several types of sustainable education which have a positive effect on their environment. Some of the children I spoke with mentioned that they enjoy doing litter picking once a week with their class. Litter picking gives them the opportunity to go outside and get hands on with sustainable education whilst having fun with their friends, tidying the environment that they play in. They enjoy energy saving week and recycling their clothes. The children also commented on the size of their play area and spoke about the different facilities such as the outdoor gym and sand pit which they enjoy playing in with their friends. However, they only get access to these facilities once a week and would enjoy spending more of their play time there.

Natural Disasters

I was unable to attend the lecture and workshops from the first week of looking at natural disasters. However, I have caught up with all the information I have missed out on and will discuss what I have learned.

A natural disaster is only classified when human society is impacted by social disruption, loss of lives and material damage. A disaster is an abrupt event which causes a community or society from being unable to function. There are a numerous number of natural diasters including: Earthquakes, Floods, Volcanic eruptions, Cyclones and Disease epidemic.

Humans have a massive impact on natural disasters. The constant growth of the urban environment has led to mass over consumption causing global warming, which leads to natural disasters.

I then made mind maps of how to prepare for a natural disaster, what to do during a natural disaster is occurring and how to recover as a community after a natural disaster has occurred.

Then we learned how to effectively teach about disasters. Teaching disasters at primary school level allows for children to get a better grasp and appreciation of the wider world. As a teacher I could practically introduce natural disasters into the classroom by showing media reports, encouraging fundraising in schools for charities and talking about what’s happening in the world and allowing children to lead with what they know already. There are also many curriculum links which relate to natural disasters. There are some listed below:

• I can describe the physical processes of a natural disaster and discuss its impact on people and the landscape. SOC 2-07b
  • By exploring a natural environment different from my own, I can discover how the physical features influence the variety of living things. SOC 1-13b
  • I can explain how the physical environment influences the ways in which people use land by comparing my local area with a contrasting area. SOC 2-13a

The next input focused on science investigative skills related to disasters. Investigative skills include: ask questions, carry out experiments, observe, collect measure and record experiments and present and report findings. All of these skills are important because they allow pupils to use practical experience to find out information and develop scientific literacy. Science skills will allow children to be open to new ideas and linking and applying learning. It allows pupils to think creatively and critically, make predictions, develop skills of reasoning and draw conclusions based on reliable scientific evidence.

There were then numerous examples of scientific investigative experiments which will be suitable to use in a teaching environment. For example, the baking soda and vinegar volcano experiment. The use of baking soda and vinegar creates a chemical reaction which looks similar to a volcanic eruption. This practical example allows children to get hands on with the experiment as well as expanding their knowledge on volcanos.

Interdependence

Interdependence is when two or more living things rely on each other to grow in their environment. There are three components of interdependence, they include: economic interdependence, social interdependence and environmental interdependence.

Economic interdependence includes the global market and trading. The living things in any economic system must be involved in a trading system to get access to products they cannot produce efficiently for themselves.

Social interdependence includes cultural integration and the  interaction of theory. The level of interaction from species determines the outcomes.

Environmental interdependence includes the involvement from the wider world. The relationship between every species and their physical environment is important. All living things a function which they must fulfil in sustaining the web of life.

For our directed study tasks we were directed to make an infographic using Piktochart about sustainable seas. The infographic included, biodiversity, economy and industry, community impact and political elements. I have linked a picture above of the infographic and all the information we learned about sustainable seas.

This directed study task was very beneficial, I learned how to use Piktochart to create an infographic with information as well as making it look easy on the eye. I was able to summarise mass information which we found online into the key points for the infographic. This task also allowed me to improve my team working and communication skills. As we were in a group of four we took one aspect each and found the information, then shared it with one another and created the infographic. This not only saved time but allowed us the opportunity to teach each other what we had discovered on the topics. All the skills used and developed in this task will be effective in my development as a teacher.

Climate Change Directed Study

Upon starting the Sustainable Development module I was unaware of the environment around me. Whenever I heard the word “environment” in school I assumed negative connotations followed it so immediately switched off. The first two inputs and directed study tasks from this module has encouraged me to take an interest and learn as a student as well as a teacher the impact which we have on the environment and how we can reduce global problems.

From the clip “Antarctica on the Edge” I discovered that the changes taking place in Antarctica because of global warming has an impact on the rest of the world. As Antarctica’s ice melts we are seeing global sea levels rise and unpredictable weather worldwide. This causes problems for people who live in countries which are low lying and live on the coast. In 2010 an enormous chunk of a glacier at Antarctica broke off. This changed the flow of ice and opened large areas of ocean floor. Scientists discovered that sea water is warmer than expected and there is unusual evidence of melt,  by the end of the century Antarctica will contribute to more than an metre of global sea rise. This provides evidence that global warming is occurring and can have a huge impact on people around the world.

My Footprint

My Carbon Footprint is extremely high, 158%. The biggest contribution to my footprint is travel as I commute by car which releases harmful carbon emissions into the atmosphere. To help reduce this I could walk or cycle to work as I only work five minutes away from my home. When commuting to university me and two other friends car-pool together which not only saves money but it reduces emissions which are causing climate change. Every year wasted and left over food in the UK represents a huge amount of carbon dioxide emissions. A tip to reduce this is only buy what you need and portion control meals so there isn’t any left over and if there are left overs making the most of your local recycling options. For example, in my local area we have food waste bins so ensuring any food waste gets put into these bins and not just the general bin can help reduce my footprint. Another way to reduce my carbon footprint is making my home more efficient. Wasting less energy by using energy saving lightbulbs, as well as remembering to turn off lights and electrical appliances instead of leaving them on or on standby. Also ensuring every window in my house is double glazed,  this will help reduce heat loss in the winter.

From these activities and further reading, I am aware of the importance of teaching climate change and both the positive and mainly negative impacts which our actions can have on the world. As student teachers it is important to understand the importance and encourage the teachings about the difference younger people could make to the environment and take an interest in how they can have an impact on their own future.

Urban Environment Blog

From the Ted Talk video “It’s our city. Lets fix it.” by Alessandra Orofino, I found that over half of the worlds population live in cities. This means that urban population is increasing which has many advantages as well as disadvantages.

Global problems such as climate change, the energy crisis and poverty are all factors which are caused by urbanisation. With mass global energy consumption and gas emissions occurring within our cities, urbanisation and overpopulation is the underlying problem. Building cities has caused good quality public spaces to generally disappear, which inhibits relations between people who live there.

However, increasing urbanisation allows for recreational activities, housing and better transport routes. When more people live in one specific area the government will put more money into this area, which increases job opportunities and prevents it from becoming run down. Cities allow human happiness to flourish.

Political process can help combat challenges faced by the urban environment in many ways. For example, moving to cleaner technologies such as electric cars which will help reduce the 80% of gas emissions from cars within cities. The preservation of natural resource areas and the protection of habitats and species will reduce environmental pressure.

The Urban Environment

Urban areas within the United Kingdom are continuously increasing. With increasing populations there becomes pressure for land and demand for more supplies.

The Urban Environment in which I live in is Paisley. Paisley is a town in the West of Scotland which has a population of over 73,000. The town contains the 2nd most listed buildings within Scotland. Many buildings within this environment have an interesting historic background. For example the Anchor Mill which was once a thread mill which provided many job opportunities for the people of Paisley, is now converted from its derelict state into apartments providing more living accommodation.

Anchor Mill, Paisley.

Paisley has many green spaces. Green spaces transfer urban places into an environment which is friendlier for humans. Cart’s Greenspace is a local business in Paisley which works alongside Greenspace Scotland to regenerate open spaces in need of a makeover to improve the environment.

Trains, buses, cars, bikes… you name a method of transport and Paisley has most likely got it. It has four main railway stations including the main station Paisley Gilmour Street Station, which has links to Glasgow City Centre train station which can get you to most popular places across the UK. Cars are most commonly used in Paisley which means there is high carbon emission. To decrease air pollution, paying for parking and an increase in public transport was introduced.

Paisley town is also a host to a wide variety of recreational activities. There are many sports centres including the Lagoon, which contains a gym, swimming pool, sports hall and a cafeteria. I enjoyed spending my time going swimming at the lagoon with friends when I was younger.

The history of Paisley is what I find most interesting. The buildings and what their original purpose was before urbanisation is extremely fascinating to me. Perhaps this would also be interesting for children in Primary 5 to learn about the history of the town in which they live in. Learning about their town history may make them feel more connected to it and have an understanding of the importance of an environmental friendly place to live. Linking to the CFE, SOC 2-08a.

In conclusion urban environments are subsequently growing and I think it is important to educate young children about the advantages of being environmental friendly.