- When Hortensia begins to tell Matilda and Violet about Trunchbull, the camera begins to zoom in. Why do you think it does this?
- When we are first introduced to Trunchbull in flashbacks, we do not see her face. Why do you think this is? Do you think it’s effective?
- The first camera shot of the ‘Chokey’ is a low shot. Why do you think the filmmaker chose to use this shot?
- When Matilda first sees the Trunchbull, how do you think she’s feeling? How would you feel?
- Look at what colours the Trunchbull is wearing. Do you think the colours help represent her character? Why/why not?
- The filmmaker uses low shots when Trunchbull is speaking to Amanda. Why do you think this is?
- What kind of character do you think Amanda Thripp is? Do you think she’s scared of Trunchbull?
- When Amanda says ‘but’ to Trunchbull, music begins to play. How does this piece of music make you feel? Does it match what is happening in the clip?
- Does the music change when Amanda lands in the flowers? If so, in what way? How does it make you feel now?
Credit: Laura McEachran @MissLMacDonald