Focus on Disability.

• According to the Equality Act 2010, a person has a disability if s/he has a physical or mental impairment which has a substantial and long-term adverse effect on that person’s ability to carry out normal day-to-day activities.

(EHRC, 2011)

Disability is a very broad topic especially in relation to inclusion and equality. Many years ago, people with disabilities would have been treated horribly like they were freaks or weird. However, nowadays disabilities are so common, whether small or large, than people are treated more fairly and are  huge part of society. Although, I’m not saying there is no bias or discrimination to people with disabilities in 2017, there definitely will be but the world is evolving and people are much more open minded than they used to be.

Even after our lecture, tutorial and independent study there are still some aspects of focussing on disability that I am unsure of. Such as different types of disabilities (especially small, not noticeable ones) and the impact they have on people and society other than just large disabilities. I hope to do some wider reading on these and help improve my knowledge.