Reflections on Placement

Strength

An area of strength I felt I demonstrated during my placement week was interacting with teachers and pupils and showing initiative. It was highlighted in my mentors report that I communicated very confidently with all staff and pupils. I believe that I took instruction well and displayed a high-level of initiative when taking groups in a class for a specific task.

Area of Most Progress

My confidence came up leaps and bounds during my week on placement. I sometimes struggle to make small talk with strangers, especially older people but during my placement week I managed to overcome this. The teachers were all lovely and made it so much easier for me to interact and gave me confidence to be able to teach and interact with the pupils, especially older classes.

Area Requiring Progress

An area that still requires progress would have to be learning to use language appropriate to the children and age group I am working with. I found it quite difficult to understand which words were more suitable for P3 and which for P5, for example. Often, the children were a bit confused when I clearly used words too advanced for their level.

Action Plan

In order to work on this, I would like to spend more time with younger children to understand what vocabulary is too advanced and what words suit them well. I also intend to extend my academic reading in order to aid me with this and improve my knowledge.