Inclusion and Equality

ei_graphic-v2-small

Today I found Inclusion and Equality a really interesting topic. I think inclusion and equality is a big problem that is kept under the surface and sugar coated when it should be something we are paying attention to everyday.

Throughout the day, my attention has been drawn to Peggy McIntosh’s “invisible rucksack” discussing ‘white privilege’. From reading the 50 statements available in the PDF, I could relate to a couple of them because of being young and female but the thought of someone experiencing anymore than a couple seriously upsets me. I feel ignorant that I haven’t completely thought about these statements and I’m glad they have been brought to my attention. It also upsets me that people in the world can inflict these feelings onto others and I’m hoping being more aware of them will allow me to avoid inflicting these feelings on others.

I chose question 2, as well as 3, to discuss as I felt that one of the reasons I hadn’t noticed the “invisible rucksack” was because my school did an excellent job of creating an equal and inclusive environment.

Question 2

Think about the last school you attended as a learner.

Were all learners included?

Majority of learners were included, although my secondary school had a high percentage of none-English speaking students that I feel weren’t included.

What makes you think so?

By not having English as their first language, they weren’t fully involved in the learning and were also put into different level classes making it difficult for them to feel included and be involved in all aspects of learning and teaching.

Were all learners valued?

I felt all learners that contributed and tried were valued.

What makes you think so?

Many students didn’t want to be in school and didn’t try or work hard. I felt as though this caused some teachers and other pupils to value their work or attendance to the class lesser than students who worked hard and contributed to class discussions/work.

Were all achievements valued?

I would say yes.

What makes you think so?

Our secondary school had many different forms of achievement and I feel they were valued just as much as the next e.g. exam results, sport competitions, eco club etc.

Were all abilities valued?

Yes.

What makes you think so?

Everyone had different abilities and capabilities and the school valued and supported everyone’s differences.