CLIMATE CHANGE LEARNING LOG

Theme:

• Climate Change
  • Global warming and weather
  • Politics and global warming

Key Learning:

Climate Change.

Climate change is a large-scale, long-term shift in the planet’s weather patterns or average temperatures. Earth has had tropical climates and ice ages many times in its 4.5 billion years. Since the last ice age, which ended about 11,000 years ago, Earth’s climate has been relatively stable at about 14 °C. However, in recent years, the average temperature has been increasing. There is a great degree of evidence which proves climate change is happening. Examples include higher temperatures, changing rainfall and rising sea levels which occur from the ice-caps melting. There are many factors that could cause a change in our climate.Anything that affects the amount of energy being absorbed from the Sun, or the amount being radiated by the Earth – the planet’s energy balance – may produce long- or short-term cooling or warming. Most climate scientists agree the main cause of the current global warming trend is human expansion of the “greenhouse effect” — warming that results when the atmosphere traps heat radiating from Earth toward space. Certain gases in the atmosphere block heat from escaping.  In 2009, the Scottish Parliament unanimously passed the Climate Change Act, which aimed to reduce emissions from 1990 levels by 42% by 2020 and by 80% by 2050.

Global Warming and Weather.

Politics and Global Warming.

Impact on my views/lifestyles/practices:

As I was already quite aware of climate change mainly due to being on the eco committee at school. I knew the causes and the problems that climate change can cause. I also knew about and choose to do recycling at home, we recycle paper, glass, tins etc. The only thing we don’t really recycle is our food waste. I am aware that many councils have food waste bins and I will look into this as although we don’t throw out much food it may be good for the little that we do.  I am also aware that my consistent travelling back home to Argyll and Bute for family will be contributing to my carbon footprint however I try to travel in the best ways by using public transport such as trains rather than driving as public transport is marginally more eco friendly. I am already good at saving energy in the house but this was more to do with keeping bills low rather than conserving the environment but regardless it still helps.

Areas to explore futher/develop:

As I was unfortunately off the day we received these inputs I feel that I need to explore them all more fully to ensure that i have caught up and have the same knowledge as those who attended the sessions do. I think in particular I will explore the link between climate change and turbulent weather as this seemed very interesting and isn’t something I know much about.