Developing essential employability skills through outdoor education

Exposing young people to the outdoors and engaging them in activities that challenge and inspire them has long been highlighted as an important component to support the development of skills for learning, life and work.  Resilience , team building, problem-solving as well as acquiring technical skills  all help when it come to preparing for the world of work.

This has been highlighted by the recent visit of Jamie Hepburn, Scottish Minister for Employability and Training,  to The Outward Bound Trust’s Loch Eil Centre to see for himself how the trust works with young people to help them develop skills which enable them to become workplace-ready.   In his interview to the Scotsman (7 July) he said: “It was fantastic to see The Outward Bound Trust’s work helping young people build their skills and confidence while enjoying the outdoors. This kind of practical training is benefitting Scotland’s workforce and enabling our economy to grow and flourish. That is why we are investing in 30,000 modern apprenticeship starts per year by 2020 and are increasing the number of graduate level and foundation apprenticeships.”

The trust has recently placed even more emphasis on the transition from education to the workplace and to tailoring our offerings to respond to the Developing the Young Workforce agenda. We work with employers to design, develop and deliver courses that address specific workplace needs, such as positive attitudes, communication skills and determination to stay motivated when faced with difficult situations.

Read more at:  http://www.scotsman.com/news/opinion/building-confidence-and-resilience-a-worthwhile-addition-to-workplace-skills-1-4497523#comments-area

Outward Bound Interesting Practice exemplar

This is what Ciaran and Skye, both from Irvine Royal Academy, North Ayrshire,  had to say had to say after having just completed a 3 week Skills for Life Award course at Trust’s Loch Eil centre:

“From the minute I walked through the door I realised that legacy is a key part of everything you do.  Every decision you make impacts on those around you.”  Skye

“To be successful in life I learnt that I must embrace the difference s of people I work with and use them to my advantage.”   Ciaran

Share this Post