Integrated Arts – Week 4

Today in integrated arts we were focusing on the art of printing. In the morning lecture we explored Scottish artist Avril Patons ‘Windows of the West’. We discussed how this painting can be used for other curricular areas such as literacy e.g. writing a story on the different individuals living in the tenement. Drawing on the painting for the follow-up workshop, we chose a section for this painting and drew that section onto a polystyrene board. Using coloured A4 paper (folded in half to create a card) and coloured paint, we rolled the paint onto the polystyrene board and printed the image onto 3 or 4 different sheets of coloured paper. We repeated these stages using different coloured paints on top of one another. The end result was a contrasting image consisting of texture and vibrant colour. Everyone’s final piece was different showing off everyone’s individuality and creativeness.

In the afternoon we had our first drama input which frankly I was dreading. However, after completing the workshop I have realised how important drama can be in the classroom and how it can be linked to other curricular activities. Cremin et.al (2007, p274) stated that “learners who engage in drama prior to writing write more effectively and at a greater length.”

We focused on a story of a dragon which was terrorising the local villagers. With reference to the 5 drama conventions: improvisation, thought tunnel, freeze frame, teacher in role and hot seating we explored possible workshops related to the story. This workshop showed me that drama is not to be feared and that children – and myself as a teacher – can really enjoy.

Cremin, T., Goouch, K., Blakemore, L., Goff, E and MacDonald, R (2006) Connecting Drama and Writing: seizing the moment to write, Research in drama education: the journal of applied theatre and performance. London: Routledge