Integrated Arts – Week 9

Two weeks ago in integrated arts, we were visited by primary 6 pupils for Greenmill Primary School to teach us how to play a string instrument. We were all paired or grouped with a pupil and my group were learning to play the viola. First we were taught how to hold the instrument and the bow. After a few practices, we were taught the notes and the chords and played a few tunes independently then as a class. I think this was an interesting input and the pupils seemed to enjoy being the teachers for a change. Page (1995) stated that “all children should have ample opportunity to express themselves through music” and it is clear that through this programme all pupils have had the chance to learn, participate, work as a group and perform.

Following this we had a drama input in the afternoon. In groups, we were to prepare a micro-teaching presentation and present back to the class. Each group had a different approach and used varying conventions. Two groups based their lesson on a book and one group chose to create their own story. I enjoyed this input as we were learning for each other and all the activities were engaging. My group will present in the next input.

The Gruffalo – Drama PP

Page, N. (1995) Music as a Way of Knowing. Portland Maine: Stenhouse Publishers