society and lifestyles religion pdp task 1

• I leaned that “religion” is much more than just someone’s beliefs and how important its influences can be in many modern day aspects of life and society
  • I feel like I learned a lot about how many different theorists interpret the ideas and beliefs that exist and how they differ so dramatically from each other. For example Durkheim believes that there is something real in religion whereas Malinowski believes that religion was an institution that fulfils people’s psychological needs.
  • I was not sure about the question that we had to discuss within the tutorial groups, as I struggled to connect the theorists and the questions together whilst also providing relevant examples. I could improve upon this by reading over the theorists’ arguments and drawing connections to the questions being asked.
  • My knowledge of how religion is viewed in many different ways was improved today from a sociological stance as seeing theorists views on the matter allowed me to open up my mind more. I feel as if I can still improve on making stronger connections between the theorists and the questions and can do this by researching the theories further so that I gain a better understanding of what is being asked of me.
  • It allowed me to see how having different religious beliefs may differ depending on the environment in which they are influencing eg the work place and the holidays of certain religions and how that would affect work schedules. That even though some children have different religious beliefs from others it should not make them any different in the same opportunities that are available to them in society today.
  • I would like to try and develop my understanding of the theories we spoke about and the impact that they bring upon the way in which we look at religion in society today. I will continue to read up on the theorists and try and relate their views in comparison to the beliefs and views I see in modern society.