The Creative Arts – Week 1

As a young child, I was encouraged by my parents to take part in various creative arts.  This included taking both piano and trombone lessons, being selected to sing alongside a number of my school friends in the Scottish National Youth Choir as well as going to dancing classes from the age of 3 at a local dance school before moving onto a competitive team which I am fortunate to still be a part of now not only as a dancer but also as a coach.  Therefore, from a very young age I have had a real passion for the arts.

In the first lecture of this session I very quickly felt myself returning to my younger self and reliving my memories and experiences of the arts and looking forward to taking part in this module alongside being able to integrate the arts into my lessons as a teacher.  Throughout this module I hope to gain more skills and experience in becoming the creative teacher I aspire to be which, in turn, I hope would allow me to help children have a positive experience of the arts as I did myself.

TALLIS Habits Pedagogy Wheel – by Thomas Tallis School

During the lecture, we were introduced to the Tallis Habits Pedagogy Wheel (Thomas Tallis School,2017) which gives us insight into how to develop and implement the arts throughout the school curriculum.  It was explained that the arts are overlooked within schools nowadays and seen as an activity only for those who ‘are good at it’ which I find upsetting as I would like to help in changing this view with the support of this wheel which can help me to gain confidence in teaching arts throughout the school curriculum by reflecting on my fortunate, positive experiences.  Going ahead, I am looking forward to being able to get creative and further my knowledge on the arts within the classroom.

References:

Thomas Tallis School. (2017). The TALLIS Habits Pedagogy Wheel.  [Online] Available: http://www.thomastallisschool.com/tallis-pedagogy-wheel-guide.html  [Accessed 22 September 2017]