Week 11 – Drama and Dance

In our drama input we had our microteaching task where we worked as a group to provide a drama lesson for the class based on a story of our choice.  My group chose to use the story of the ‘3 Little Pigs’ as it is a story that the majority of people are aware of and familiar with.  We began by summarising the story before starting off with our first convention which was teacher in role.  We then went on to make use of three further conventions: flashback, thought tunnel and hot seat. The class were highly engaged and participated really well with our microteaching lesson which was extremely beneficial to myself and my group as we were able to become more confident and ease off our nerves. Overall, this task helped me reflect on how I would like to teach drama in the future and allowed me to experience and practice the various conventions that I could implement into a drama lesson within the classroom to enhance the engagement of my prospective pupils.

Within our dance input today, we worked in line with the dance analysis set out by Cone (2009) to create routines specific to the theme of Christmas.  We utilised the 10 basic dance moves that we had studied in the previous dance inputs and Zara encouraged us to consider what costumes or props that we might use within this kind of lesson.  This activity allowed me to experience the benefits of putting pupils in charge of their own learning by allowing them to have the opportunities to increase their confidence and creativity within the arts as well as being able to better their physical and mental wellbeing.

The inputs I took part in today allowed me to gain further knowledge and understanding of how the Expressive Arts may be taught within a primary school.  Within both workshops there was a lot of emphasis on the importance of collaborative working and the benefits that this kind of working can provide such as the increase of confidence and engagement of pupils within a classroom.

Cone, T. (2009) Following Their Lead: Supporting Children’s Ideas for Creating Dances. Journal of Dance Education. 9(3), pp. 81-89.