Why Teaching?

It wasn’t until the beginning of my 6th year at high school that I realised that teaching was the profession for me. Many factors led up to my decision to apply for teaching at university, the main one being my love for working with children. Since starting my job as a Kids Coach at David Lloyd, I have become fascinated with the way children learn and in general, find them a pleasure to be around. Due to this, I knew I definitely wanted to have a job where children were involved.

I look back on my primary school days fondly, mainly because I had such great teachers. One teacher stands out in particular who taught me for my last two years of primary school. His lessons were always well planned and thought through, he seemed like he really loved his job and was thrilled to be there teaching us. As an 11 year old, seeing my teacher enjoying what they do was a really positive thing. It certainly made me enjoy school more and inspired me to want to give others that same experience. The work experience that I have done in a classroom setting has also played a huge part in my decision to want to become a teacher. Learning about all the different ways to teach and discovering that teaching isn’t as traditional as it used to be, really broadened my mind. Working with children from different backgrounds and realising that every child is different was interesting too.

I have always found that I have a solid grasp of most subjects that are taught in school, rather than standing out in one particular area and so I felt that Primary Education was perfect for me, due to the wide range of things that I will be teaching. This also means that hopefully every day at work will be different and that really appeals to me.