CV

Beth Arbuckle

b.c.arbuckle@dundee.ac.uk

07540 827 665

56B Reform Street, Dundee, DD1 1RX

Key Skills

Communication

• Communicate effectively with teachers, colleagues and other professionals during school placements in order to meet the needs of pupils.
  • Politely and professionally, listen and respond to colleagues and member enquiries at my part time job as a kids’ coach at a leisure centre.
  • Communicate with the members of my university netball team on and off court by discussing tactics and implementing them through play.

Organisation

• Able to manage my time effectively in order to meet university deadlines and take part in extra-curricular activities such as netball and golf to maintain a healthy study to life balance.
  • Plan lessons and teaching that meets the experiences and outcomes expected in the Curriculum for Excellence and that particular school.
  • Organise large groups of children aged between 3 and 11, plan activities and think through daily routines for the holiday camps that took place at my part time job at David Lloyd leisure.

Interpersonal

• Create positive relationships with the children from my placement schools and part time job through inclusive practice.
  • Use behaviour management strategies and reward systems consistently to encourage high standards and positive behaviour.

Teamwork

• Enjoy working as a member of a team with my university netball team, in schools and at my part time job as a kids coach.
  • Work efficiently with peers on my university course in order to create and deliver presentations.

Education

2016-2020      University of Dundee        MA (Hons) Primary Education       On going

Education modules have included, discovering mathematics, teaching across the curriculum and Values: Self, Society and the Profession.

Additional module in Psychology.

2010-2016    Craigmount High School, Edinburgh

2016 – Advanced Highers: Geography and Physical Education (C)

2015 – Highers: Geography(A), Physical Education(A), Mathematics(B), English(B), Biology(B)

2014 – 8 national 5s including French and chemistry (7 As, 1 B).

Work Experience

April/May 2017   Teaching Placement (as part of my degree), St. Andrews RC Primary, Dundee

I taught a class of primary 5 pupils for a six-week period. During this, I built a good relationship with my class and planned a wide variety of lessons to teach, including the subjects maths, art and science. I developed excellent time and behaviour management skills throughout this, having to sometimes deal with difficult behaviour and plan my days in advance. I was involved in the whole school show where I made props and costumes and encouraged pupils to perform well and enjoy themselves, which allowed me to display creativity and to set a positive example for the children.

November 2015   Teaching Placement (work experience), Corstorphine Primary School, Edinburgh

I volunteered at my local primary school twice a week for around six months. During this time I worked with a primary 2 class and able to observe a range of different teaching strategies and learn how to plan and deliver lessons to suit early years pupils. I worked well as part of the teaching team, offering help where it was needed and assisting the class teacher with activities that the class did. I developed excellent my leadership and communication skills by helping the class through tasks and activities.

September 2014 – September 2017   Kids Coach, David Lloyd leisure, Edinburgh

I developed excellent customer service skills by attending to customers needs and answering their questions. I learned how to work effectively within a team and with my other colleagues in the company. I am confident in delivering activities classes to children aged 3-11 and communicating with parents and guardians with any queries they may have, this means that I have good leadership skills and can communicate with people of all ages. My organisational skills were enhanced as I delivered birthday parties and holiday camps as part of a small team for members and non-members of the club.

Skills and Interests

Netball: I have played netball competitively since the age of 10 and I am now a member of Dundee University Netball club in the 2nd out of 4 teams. I also used to play for Edinburgh club and Edinburgh District at U15 and U17 level. During this, I have been placed into different teams with lots of different people and this has enhanced my teamwork and communication skills.

Music: I have a keen interest for live music, having been to various concerts over the past few years. As well as enjoying live music, I played the violin during primary school and throughout high school. I learned many musical techniques, for example being able to read music.