Personal audit & transferable skills

Activity 1

1. Below are a list of skills and abilities. Complete an audit of where you are now. Record this in your learning journal/portfolio.

Rate yourself (1=Not very well developed; 3=very well developed)

Skills and Abilities

1

2

3

Organisation                       X
 Responsible                       X
 Time Management                      X
 Communication                      X
 Self-motivation                      X
 Decision Making                       X
 Working Under Pressure                       X
 Teamwork                       X
 Creativity                      X

Although it is important to identify where we are now, it is not enough to stop there. We need to reflect upon how we can develop the skills where we are less confident and how we can transfer the skills in which we are confident and competent.

Activity 2

Complete the audit below, using the information from the table above.

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills already developed How will I use these How do I know (evidence)**
 Responsibility  I understand that in a classroom I am in charge and responsible for the children’s learning. I have to attend to my role as the teacher and be prepared.  On placement I have shown I take responsibility in my own reading and learning in order to ensure I am giving the children a quality learning experience.
 Creativity  I will gather my own ideas and share ideas with friends as well as using useful resources that I may find.  In a classroom it is important that children find their learning interesting. Having different and creative ways of teaching lessons will be more effective than textbook work.

** This section should be completed as you identify when/where/how you have used/developed these skills.

Recognition Reflection Action
Skills to be developed How will I develop these How do I know (evidence)**
 Communication I will gain more confidence in speaking to others by taking myself out of my comfort zone and speaking to those on my course I don’t usually speak to.  I will choose to sit and interact with new people. I will also put more effort into answering out during lectures as this will help me understand what we are learning better.
 Self-motivation  I will study in a way which suits my learning and therefore I will stay focused as it is something I am interested in.  I will create mind-maps and colourful notes. I will study in a way that I will learn best.
 Time Management  I will create study plans which fit around university and work.