- Online work experience week for S5 pupils that are interested in studying biological, biomedical and animal sciences at any university.
- Deadline for Application: Monday 26 April
- Weblink https://www.ed.ac.uk/medicine-vet-medicine/engage-with-us/science-insights
The University of Edinburgh’s cross-college (Medicine & Vet Med) work experience week, “Science Insights Online”, will take place again this summer during the last week of July.
“Science Insights Online” is an exciting work experience programme created for current S5 secondary school students (who will be entering S6 in August 2021). Successful applicants will spend five days (Monday 26 to Friday 30 July inclusive) following a varied programme of online activities hosted by staff and students from 4 different College of Medicine & Veterinary Medicine campuses, gaining a real insight into research and work in many different areas of biological, biomedical and animal sciences.
- Virtual tours of a range of scientific facilities
- Presentations, workshops and discussions on topics including research ethics, the use of animals in research and careers in science
- Opportunities for online group chats with current University of Edinburgh PhD students and researchers
- Skills session to help with future university applications
We welcome applications to Science Insights if pupils are:
- Currently in 5th year of High School and will be staying on for S6
- Able to attend all five days of the online programme: One full week 26-30 July 2021 from 11.30am to 5.00pm daily (with scheduled breaks).
- Enthusiastic and interested in biological, biomedical and animal science, or biochemistry
- Curious, keen to learn and ask questions
There are only 60 places available for Science Insights Online and it is being promoted to all schools in Scotland. Any current S5 pupils interested in science (especially those planning to apply to Biology / Biomedical Sciences / Animal Sciences at university) are welcome to apply.
We are very happy to receive applications from any of your S5 pupils, but pupils who fulfil one or more of the following Widening Participation criteria will be prioritised for places:
- Attending a school of below-average attainment and / or progression to higher education
- Residing in an area of low progression to higher education, as defined by the Scottish Index of Multiple Deprivation (SIMD)
- Is / has been Care experienced
- Is estranged
- Is a carer
- Is / will be in receipt of Educational Maintenance Allowance (EMA) or Free School Meals
- Is/has been an asylum seeker or refugee
To apply for a place, pupils need to complete an online application form, which they can find on the Science Insights website: https://www.ed.ac.uk/medicine-vet-medicine/engage-with-us/science-insights Applications opened on Friday 26 February 2021.
The closing date for applications is Monday 26th April 2021 and places will be assigned on the basis of the applications received as well as the Widening Participation criteria above – NOT on a “first come, first served” basis – by early May.
As part of Science Insights Online, we will run two webinars on Monday 26th and Friday 30th of July. We are delighted that all pupils who apply will be offered the chance to attend both webinars. The proposed webinar themes are ‘Science is for Everyone’ and ‘All about Vaccines’, subject to speaker availability.
We realise that not everyone has the same ability to access online content and we are looking into ways to support pupils who may have difficulties accessing Science Insights Online. There are questions about online access in the application form, and if pupils do not have a reliable way to get online, we are asking them to tell us. It will not count against them in their application and we will try to help all successful applicants to access the programme, as far as we can.
Please promote this opportunity to your pupils. We will also be promoting this on social media, so if you are able to share from @UniofEdWPteam on Twitter that would be ideal.