Thousands of young people across Glasgow will celebrate British Science Week at 25 events running in primary schools throughout the city.
STEM fairs, family events and career information sessions are being organised by the Primary Science Leaders of the RAiSE (Raising Attainment in Science Education) programme.
RAiSE is funded and delivered by The Wood Foundation, Education Scotland, Scottish Government and participating local authorities. It increases the confidence, skills and networks of primary teachers to develop and deliver impactful STEM (science, technology, maths and engineering) lessons.
As well as supporting and developing these STEM lead teachers in schools, RAiSE has also provided funding to enable their delivery.
Alex McLaughlin, Primary Science Development Officer for Glasgow, said:
“British Science Week is a great opportunity to shine a light on STEM within and outwith the classroom, giving young people opportunities to be inspired and impacted by exciting events and lessons.
“We are incredibly proud of the development of the Primary Science Leaders in the Glasgow area and delighted they have the confidence and respect within their settings to lead on projects such as these.”
Events will include:
- Family Code Club at Gowanbank Primary School where 94% of the pupils live in deprivation. The event is set to increase parental confidence with technologies and provide a positive family learning experience.
- St Rose of Lima Primary School is hosting a family evening which will include STEM activities linked to the Global Goals and Malawi.
- World of Work events which will see members of the school and business communities highlight their STEM career pathways.
- St Benedict’s Primary School is asking their Primary 6 pupils to support younger classes throughout the week to develop a STEM showcase for the entire school.
- St Roch’s Primary School will be crime solvers throughout the week, working in teams to solve a mystery.
For more information on the RAiSE team STEM Glasgow, visit https://www.stemglasgow.co.uk/.
British Science Week runs from 8th to 14th March.
A full list of the events:
|British Science Week: The Power of Electricity||Annette Street PS|
|World of Work STEM Week||Avenue End PS|
|Space Exploration||Barmulloch PS|
|STEM Community Event||Caledonia PS|
|Big STEM Showcase||Carmyle PS|
|STEM Week||Cuthbertson PS|
|Science Day and STEM Family Afternoon||Dalmarnock PS|
|Fun with Forces||Darnley PS|
|Move It!||Gaelic School|
|Family Code Club||Gowanbank PS|
|CSI Hillington||Hillington PS|
|Science Week Activities||John Paul II PS|
|Think Science Show||Langside PS|
|Science and Technology at Miller||Miller PS|
|Raising Aspirations through STEM Careers||Pirie Park PS|
|Science Week at Quarry Brae||Quarry Brae PS|
|Sandwood Polar Explorer STEM Fair||Sandwood PS|
|Science Day: Problem Solving using our Senses||Scotstoun PS|
|STEM Week||St. Benedict’s PS|
|The Big STEM Showcase||St. Clare’s PS|
|Journeys in Science||St. Marnock’s PS|
|All the Fun of the Fair||St. Philomena’s PS|
|Whodunit/CSI||St. Roch’s PS|
|Science Week and Beyond||St. Rose of Lima PS|
|Science Fair||Thorntree PS|
|British Science Week||Wellshot PS|
|British Science Week||Whitehill PS|