Why Podcast?

Podcasting can become part of any learning activity. Creating a podcast can help pupils review, reinforce and reflect on their learning. Podcasts provide an opportunity for group and cooperative learning.

Podcasting can be a means to expose pupils many of the technology experiences and outcomes.

For example, Early Level:

I enjoy taking photographs or recording sound and images to represent my experiences and the world around me.

TCH 0-04b

First & Second:

I can create, capture and manipulate sounds, text and images to communicate experiences, ideas and information in creative and engaging ways.

TCH 1-04b / TCH 2-04b

Third Level:

I can build a digital solution which includes some aspects of multimedia to communicate information to others.

TCH 3-08b

Planning and producing a podcast include talking, listening, reading and writing.

Podcasting can be carried out with very little equipment. An internet enabled computer is all you need. A microphone will make it sound better. The most common software for creating podcasts, Audacity, is free and open source.

Pupils will need to plan, prepare, record, and broadcast a podcast. They can brainstorm ideas, assign roles, write a script, rehearse, edit their work, upload their podcasts, and often receive feedback from other students and listeners on the web. The audience can be a great motivator for pupils to produce their best work.

Podcasting can be used with pupils who are less keen or able to write.

Compared to video as a format there are a lot fewer barriers to producing a good quality piece of media.