2016 is the Year of Innovation, Architecture and Design (YIAD). Events forming part of a year-long programme will use our stunning architecture, thriving creative industries and spirit of invention to show visitors that Scotland stands shoulder to shoulder with the very best in the world when it comes to cutting edge, contemporary design and technological knowhow.
As part of this VisitScotland have launched the new Spirit of Scotland campaign. It focusses on seven traits that best describe the people and landscapes of Scotland: warmth, humour, guts, spark, soul, determination and fun.
With 28 funded events and an increasing array of partner events, the programme for the Year is fuller and more exciting than ever.
Details about all events are available on the VisitScotland website.
Upcoming events include:
- Build it! Adventures with Lego Bricks (Edinburgh, until April 17)
- Glasgow International Comedy Festival (until March 27)
- NVA Hinterland (Helensburgh , March 18 – 27)
- Scottish Swimming Championships (Glasgow, March 30 – April 3, June 30 – July 3)
- CraftScotland presents Meet Your Maker (April 1 – December 23)
- Glasgow International (April 8 – 25)
- Melrose Sevens (April 9)
- World Canals Public Programme (May 1 – 31)
- Festival of Museums (May 13 – 15)
- Cycling Tour Series (May 17 and 19)
- Gardening Scotland (Edinburgh, June 3 – 5)
- Crail Food Festival (June 10 – 12)