Holy Cross Primary School

CURAMUS

P5b’s Visit to Dynamic Earth

Yesterday, Primary 5 went to Dynamic Earth in Edinburgh to supplement our learning about the topic of natural disasters. The location was very appropriate since it was right beside the extinct volcano known as Arthur’s Seat.

We attended a workshop on natural disasters with activities, such as building an earthquake-proof tower, watching how tsunamis are formed on laptops, examining various rocks formed from the lava of volcanoes, using magnets to identify meteorites, and making glitter tornadoes in plastic bottles.

We travelled in a time machine to learn about how the solar system was formed and how life on earth began.

Our favourite parts of the day were the 3D cinema tour around the world, the earthquake simulator, touching an iceberg and visiting a rain-forest.

“It was lots of fun.”  “It was very interesting.” “I really liked it when the ground started to shake.” “It was amazing to be able to touch real meteors.” “I touched the iceberg and it was so cold!” “I got to touch real fossils.”