Kirkcaldy High School

Respect for Self, Others, and Learning

Rector’s Log 18/12/20

Dear Parent/Carer

Welcome to our final weekly message for 2020. And that sounds like quite a good idea … leaving this year behind.

Nobody could have imagined the challenges we have faced over the course of the last 10 months, within our heads, in our homes, in our daily lives and our schools. Covid has had a massive impact on all of us and will continue to do so for time to come yet. For KHS it has meant us having to be a different kind of school for now. We’ve developed new ways of delivering lessons and supporting kids but at the same time we’ve had to restrict so many of the activities and experiences which enrich learning and build the relationships which are the basis of our community. And, of course, we’ve all felt the anxiety and stresses of lockdown and its drawn-out aftermath.

However, we’re resolutely still here, and we can anticipate a far better outlook in the new year. I don’t want to get overly sentimental, and I admit to not being a particularly spiritual person, but that’s what this time of year is about isn’t it? Surviving the darkness and beginning a renewal? Whether it’s Hanukkah, Christmas, Diwali, ancient fire festivals or pagan celebrations of the winter solstice, we recognise a turning point. Out with the old, bring in the new.

Many parents/carers have chosen not to send their kids to school this week. In line with Scottish Government advice, they wish to reduce family mixing ahead of Christmas, when some may meet with family they haven’t seen for months. This is quite understandable, and thanks for keeping us informed. I explained in last week’s “Log” that new arrangements were being developed for “contact tracing” over the coming break. It’s usually the schools who do that for school age kids but NHS Fife will take on the responsibility of working directly with young people and their families over the next couple of weeks. Pupils are expected to know the names of those with whom they have had close contact, and we are providing information to assist with this. We are posting all classroom seating plans to Microsoft Teams and our young people have online access through “GLOW”. The online record will help as a reminder. Once the tracers have been advised of potential contact names from any pupil testing positive, NHS Fife will link to our school records to be in touch with the contacts and advise of isolation rules (which is now 10 rather than 14 day period). I’m really hoping that this will not be necessary, although we are looking in to a situation today which is likely to impact on a fairly large group of pupils.

2020 Foodbank Donation

2020 Foodbank Donation

Last week I mentioned a number of charity initiatives on the go here right now. Our Christmas Jumper Appeal last Friday, in Support of “Save The Children” raised over £180 and I’m delighted to say that the Christmas remembrance baubles appeal organised by Mrs Wood (PSO) raised the magnificent sum of £174 for Cruse Scotland, a charity which supports families affected by bereavement. Today we are in jumpers again and are collecting donations of non-perishable foodstuffs for Kirkcaldy Foodbank. I am delighted to report that we’ll be filling the school minibus on Monday (see photos). Mr Crawford (CDT) is also making a cash donation to the Foodbank after he organised DIY Christmas wreath packs for the staff. Mr Crawford is a wood turner and bushcrafter and he foraged all the materials in local woodlands. I’ve seen some of the finished wreaths and they are amazing. Also, proceeds from our “Dress Down” next Tuesday will go to The Yard, a support network for disabled children. This is the conclusion to our focus for Disability History Month. Thanks to Ms Mahr and the Equalities Group. Well done also to Mrs Keeble’s Personal Development class. Last week I explained that they had organised our involvement in the Gift of Christmas Appeal. They have also raised a cash sum of £40 from their Christmas Fayre and a bake sale, and this is being donated to the Social Bite Christmas Dinners Appeal. Very well done to that wee group.

2020 Foodbank Donation

2020 Foodbank Donation

Finally, Mrs Hamilton is organising a staff candy cane delivery service next week and will donate proceeds to the Cottage Family Centre in Templehall. The Cottage is a brilliant support for families facing hardship and distress in our own community. I was talking yesterday with Ellie Hitchcock (S6) who is a volunteer at the Centre, and she was telling me about the Christmas gift appeal and the deficit in the “gifts for teenagers” category. Sadly, most of those teenagers are actually our own pupils. Quite a few of the staff here have decided to make a personal donation and if you feel that you are in a position to give a wee gift to one of the KHS pupils most in need of kindness right now, you can do your online banking thing here; Sort Code: 80 – 16 – 84, Account Number: 06006462. That would be hugely appreciated.

Next week is a short one, with school finishing at 3.15pm on Tuesday 22 December. We usually close with a staff talent show on the last day, and it’s always great fun. I’m delighted to say that, in their own time, the staff have created an online version, put together by Dr Murray and his tech team (audio) and video editor Mr Adams. Thanks to them, and also to all the teachers and other staff who have contributed a “turn”. The good news is that none will be quitting their day job for a record contract, the West End or a move to LA. However, it doesn’t mean they are not absolute stars … they are superstars … and right now that’s well worth recognising.

So, here’s to our turning point. We can look forward to renewal. Maybe KHS can be a better school or perhaps we can all be better people through what we have learnt from our experiences? I read somewhere that the strongest trees in the forest are never the ones which have been best sheltered and protected from the winds and the storms.

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and your family, especially if some will be separated this Christmas.

Derek Allan

RECTOR

18 December 2020