Kirkcaldy High School

Respect for Self, Others, and Learning

Rector’s Log 08/09/23

It has been a glorious week in terms of the weather and a week full of sunshine here at KHS.

The week that’s been…

Today, we held a planned fire evacuation using our new procedures P1 – 3, with a third of the school walking though the new routine. From Tuesday this week, our procedures changed and young people now stay with their class teacher and assemble in class and faculty order on the Astro pitch. The run through today went well and young people were exceptional in terms of conduct and attitude. My thanks go to all those who took part.

This week, we have held assemblies for S1 and S6. Our S1 pupils had an assembly focussed on their first school trip to Fordell Firs outdoor centre. They had an opportunity to learn about the trip and the skills we are hoping they will develop through this – resilience, determination, teamwork and respect for each other. Our S6 young people were invited to assembly to hear about applying to University through UCAS and other information linked to their next steps after school.

On Thursday, I made my way around many classes, checking in on our learners, listening to their experience in class / across school and ensuring that we continue to meet the standards expected here at KHS. Our young people are doing fantastically well in their learning and the kindness and respect shown between young people and young people and staff was great. Well done to all our young people for the continued positive start to this session.

On Tuesday we held our first Parent Council of the session. Our Head Boy and Head Girl gave the PC an update on the start of term and how things had been going. They spoke highly of the start our new S1s had made, the experiences that are on offer here at KHS and how life had been settling back to school after the summer break. Dr Murray also updated Parent Council about his work around developing a Communications policy for KHS and how this will help to promote positive engagement with our families and community. I also update PC about staffing, budget, School Improvement Plan and our Standards and Quality report. I will send these to Parents / Carers at the beginning of next week for consultation.

Lastly, I wanted to update you on some staffing changes. From Monday, Mrs Gibb will be joining KHS as Depute Rector with responsibility for overseeing our Support and Guidance faculties. Mrs Gibb will also be the Year Head for S1. With Mrs Gibb starting, Mr Farquharson will return to his role as PTC Guidance (Oswald) after doing a tremendous job in the role of acting Depute. Mrs Sim will also return to her substantive post of PT Guidance following her role as acting PTC Guidance. My sincere thanks to Mr Farquharson and Mrs Sim for their work supporting young people in their acting roles.

Mrs Harrower moves into her role as PT Inclusion, following the work she has done as Teacher of Inclusion last session and Mr Sanderson will be taking on a new role as PT Equity (Enhanced Support). This role will allow Mr Sanderson to work with a smaller caseload and support young people who are from a range of backgrounds. Thank you to both for the work they continue to do every day.

Lastly, we will be interviewing this week for the roles of Teacher of Modern Studies and Teacher of CDT. I hope to update you on new appointments next week.

The week ahead…

Next week, we have a group of young people heading off to Washington at the beginning of the week. We wish them well on their adventure.

Speaking of adventures, our S1s are also heading out of KHS next week with the first groups heading to Fordell Firs.

We hope all young people have a rich experience and my thanks to families and staff who help make this possible.

Have a great weekend in the continued sunshine!

Best wishes,

Chris McKay

Rector

8 September 2023