Kirkcaldy High School

Respect for Self, Others, and Learning

Rector’s Log 28/10/22

Dear Parent/Carer,

Welcome back to the Rector’s log after the October break. I hope you and your family are doing well.

The week that’s been…

It has been another busy, but enjoyable week here at KHS. As always, there is lots of great learning taking place as well as lots of opportunities for our young people to develop those other, just as important, social and life skills. I am grateful to KHS staff who volunteer to take on extra-curricular clubs, events and study sessions. Thank you all!

This week, we welcomed back all young people to KHS. It has been great to speak with them and discuss what they did over the break and hear that they are happy to return, although, not enjoying the early starts!

In addition, we welcomed parents / carers of our seniors on Tuesday for S5/6 Parents’ Evening. It is an important time of year where young people in S4-6 who are continuing their learning towards SQA qualifications and exams. We will be planning study support sessions and will communicate this to you in the very near future.

I am delighted to inform you that KHS have been nominated and made the final shortlist for the School Sport Award at The Scottish Sports Awards 2022! The competition this year was very strong and it has been great to reach the final four. The awards night is on Wednesday 7th December, and I will update you with how we got on at that time.

Mrs Davidson (Year Head of S5/6) and I had a check-in with all S5/6 yesterday, asking them how they were getting on with their studies, checking on uniform standards and listening to any concerns raised.

Some more staffing news for you… On Tuesday, we held interviews for the post of PT Guidance (Adam Smith) following Mrs Thompson’s move to PTC English. Mr Scott (DET) was successful and will take up post from Monday.

Mr Scott (3 days) and Mrs Thompson (2 days) will job share the PT Guidance (Adam Smith) post. Mr Scott will be responsible for the allocated Adam Smith caseload on Monday, Tuesday and Friday with Mrs Thompson responsible on Wednesday and Thursday.

Well done to Mr Scott and I know he is keen to get to work and support young people and families in Adam Smith house.

DYW Padlet (Mrs Whyte) – Padlet has a few local jobs such as many seasonal workers at the Retail Park if you are looking for a part time job. S5 pupils are invited to apply for Career Ready – an opportunity to get career input and mentoring from a local business. This will lead to 4 weeks paid employment next summer and the chance to build upon your employability skills. If you are interested, please speak to Mrs Whyte in C13. More information on the padlet.

Lastly, I have sent parents / carers a school update via email.

The week ahead…

Next week, we will have year group assemblies to welcome young people back and share expectations for the term ahead. We will also continue to check-in on our young people, focussing on S1 next week.

On Wednesday, we look forward to welcoming our prospective S1s at the P7 Open Evening.

Further ahead, the next Parent Council will take place online, on Tuesday 22nd November 2022 at 6pm. Agenda and link will be sent on Friday 18th November.

I look forward to working with you again throughout this term.

Best wishes

Chris McKay
Interim Rector
28 October 2022