Kirkcaldy High School

Respect for Self, Others, and Learning

Rector’s Log 19/08/22

Dear Parent/Carer,

Welcome to the first regular Friday update of session 2022-2023, and my first as Interim Rector.

The week that’s been…

It has been a great first week of the new session and it’s been a pleasure to welcome all our pupils back to KHS. The S1s are starting to settle into life at KHS and I am extremely grateful to our senior young people and buddies for the amazing job they are doing in supporting our new pupils. I have taken the opportunity this week to visit as many classes as possible, witnessing the engaging and challenging learning and teaching that is taking place right across the school. Thank you to staff for their commitment to this.

On Thursday, I had the opportunity to address all young people (with the Year Head), through our ‘Welcome back’ assemblies. Through the assemblies, we shared our values of respect to self, respect to others and respect for learning. We challenged all our young people to be the best version of them that they can be and continue to be committed to our community and school, through living these values and showcasing this through our actions, uniform, and work. It is great to see so many happy faces returning to school.

As mentioned in my welcome letter last week, we have had several new members of staff joining us and they have settled in well and are happy to be at KHS. I also have an update on some staffing matters for you.

Last Wednesday, we appointed 2 new teachers to our Business department. Jack Walsh (currently at Woodmill HS) is due to join us w/b 3rd October and Judith Wood (currently at Heriott Watt) will join us w/b 29th August. We have also re-advertised for a permanent Teacher of English. Moreover, a temporary Teacher of music has also been advertised.

We have also been joined by Amanda Gear (PSA) and Alison Carson (Admin team) and we welcome them both to KHS. Both started on Monday. Finally, we have 2 new PSAs who will be joining us soon: Leanne McConnell and Katie Boston.

The week ahead…

Next week, we will continue to set our expectations for learning and life at KHS, through our uniform standards and ensuring that all young people arrive on time for class, especially after break and lunch. Mr Young (Year Head S1) and I will visit S1 classes and check-in with pupils to ensure that they are settling into life at KHS and address any issues or concerns. In addition, Mrs Hamilton (Year Head S3) and I will also check in with our S3 pupils.

Lastly, sincere thanks to everyone at and in the KHS community who have made me feel welcomed into the community. I hope you have a great weekend.

Best wishes

Chris McKay
Interim Rector
19 August 2022